Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16592 Discussions

connecting to quartus

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use a STREAM board connected to a limemicro LMS7002 RF development board. 

The chip is an EP4CE40F23C7N, which is an FPGA board that can be programmed for RF communication with an RF board. 

I am an FPGA starter. 

I want to download Quartus and code it on the board, but I can not find the hardware in the programmer menu in Quartus. 

What should I do? 

There is a GUI for programming with rbf, but I want to connect the board to Quartus because I will use signaltap. 

I'm an FPGA primer and I need help.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I can not find the hardware in the programmer menu in Quartus 

--- Quote End ---  

The STREAM board surely exposes a JTAG interface, either a 10 pin header to connect an Altera programming cable (USB Blaster) or more likely an in-built USB Blaster. Review the board documentation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It has a 10pin altera jtag header. You need an altera usb blaster (or equivalent) hardware for programming the fpga.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It has a 10pin altera jtag header. You need an altera usb blaster (or equivalent) hardware for programming the fpga. 

--- Quote End ---  

Am i have to use Jtag cable?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Am i have to use Jtag cable? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, the FPGA is programmed thru that JTAG port, so you need some type of dongle that connects to JTAG that the programming software supports. The easiest solution is to use an Altera USB-Blaster with the Quartus Programming software, but there are other ways to do it using other tools (like a JTAG contoller that replays an SVF file). The bottom line however is that the connection to the board FPGA is via JTAG.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, the FPGA is programmed thru that JTAG port, so you need some type of dongle that connects to JTAG that the programming software supports. The easiest solution is to use an Altera USB-Blaster with the Quartus Programming software, but there are other ways to do it using other tools (like a JTAG contoller that replays an SVF file). The bottom line however is that the connection to the board FPGA is via JTAG. 

--- Quote End ---  

I connect to the cable between Jtag cable and FPGA Jtag port. but i don't know how to use it in Quartus. when i connect it, there is no 'usb blaster', only 'usb serial converter'. So i can't use it in programmer menu.  

Please. What i have to do?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I connect to the cable between Jtag cable and FPGA Jtag port. but i don't know how to use it in Quartus. when i connect it, there is no 'usb blaster', only 'usb serial converter'. so i can't use it in programmer menu.  

Please. What i have to do? 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'it' ... have you connected a real Altera USB-Blaster? If so has the official Altera driver been installed for the USB-blaster, or is the installation picking up some other driver (like for a USB-serial converter) for that device?
0 Kudos