Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

how to see all signals without optimization in modelsim 10.7

GLous
Novice

I'm simulating with modelsim 10.7 a design created with Quartus Prime Pro 18, but I don't know hot to do the simulation with no optimizations with this new version.

I attach the simScript.do where now is the -O0 option I'v tried multiple options from vopt but without success.

So, what I'm doing wrong? what would be the correct set of options in order that Modelsim shows all signals including the ones for debug?

Thanks,

set QPRJ_DIR D:/LHCb/FPGAPrjs/UTDataProcV01 set QSYS_SIMDIR $QPRJ_DIR/sims set QSRC_DIR D:/LHCb/FPGAPrjs/src   source $QSYS_SIMDIR/mentor/msim_setup.tcl dev_com com   # ################################################################# # TEST BENCHS # ################################################################# vcom -work work $QPRJ_DIR/TestBenchs/UTDPtestBench.vhd # ################################################################# # CUSTOM PACKAGES # ################################################################# vcom -O0 -work work $QSRC_DIR/HwSrc/UTDataProcSimTop.vhd vcom -O0 -work work $QSRC_DIR/HwSrc/UT_DataProcessing.vhd vcom -O0 -work work $QSRC_DIR/HwSrc/UT_DP_PreProc.vhd   set TOP_LEVEL_NAME Compactor_tb elab   view structure view signals   add wave -noupdate -group DP_C sim:/compactor_tb/CompactorDUT/CompBasic/DP_C/*   restart run 2 us

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Tricky
New Contributor II

I cant see the vopt or vsim commands.

If -novopt vsim option has finally been deprecated (like they threatened 3 years ago) then you will need to use +acc=<path> args to vopt to get visibility inside your modules.

You will probably need to read the modelsim manual for full explination of the +acc arguments.

0 Kudos
GLous
Novice

in the simscript.do generated with Quartus there is no vsim, also modelsim recomends not to use +acc, so I tried to use the vopt -assertdebug but continues not showing the signals that I don't read anywhere. Also there no error nor warning.

In the VOPT chapter on modelsim 10.7 manual:

Mentor recommends moving away from using the +acc argument with vopt for the

following reasons:

• It may reduce simulation speed.

• The +acc argument and many of its values have been replaced by a collection of

individual arguments listed in Using vopt for Access Control for Visibility During

Optimization.

The +acc argument is still supported for backward compatibility, but you should use the

replacement arguments instead.

0 Kudos
Abe
Valued Contributor II

You can turn off optimization using the -novopt switch like below:

vcom -novopt ....

then run the simulation using vsim command.

The other way is to disable optimizatio globally using the Modelsim.ini file in your work folder.

[vsim] ; vopt flow ; Set to turn on automatic optimization of a design. ; Default is on VoptFlow = 1

Change this VoptFlow = 1 to VoptFlow = 0. This will disable optimization for further compiles and simulations. This modelsim.ini file should be modified only for the project , ie, in your source/working directory

0 Kudos
GLous
Novice

-novopt is deprecated in modelsim 10.7

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Use +acc with vopt to preserve visibility of all objects in the design or vsim -voptargs with +acc for selective design object visibility during debugging.

0 Kudos
GLous
Novice

Hi,

@Abe​  if I change VoptFlow to 0 I get an error when runing:

# [exec] dev_com # Model Technology ModelSim SE-64 vcom 10.7 Compiler 2017.12 Dec 7 2017 # ** Error (suppressible): (vcom-12110) All optimizations are disabled because the -novopt option is in effect. This will cause your simulation to run very slowly. If you are using this switch to preserve visibility for Debug or PLI features, please see the User's Manual section on Preserving Object Visibility with vopt. -novopt option is now deprecated and will be removed in future releases. # Errors: 1, Warnings: 0 # ** Error: C:/modeltech64_10.7/win64/vcom failed. # Error in macro ./simScript.do line 26 # C:/modeltech64_10.7/win64/vcom failed. # while executing # "vcom C:/intelfpga_pro/18.0/quartus//eda/sim_lib/altera_syn_attributes.vhd -work altera" # ("eval" body line 1) # invoked from within # "eval vcom $USER_DEFINED_VHDL_COMPILE_OPTIONS $USER_DEFINED_COMPILE_OPTIONS "$QUARTUS_INSTALL_DIR/eda/sim_lib/altera_syn_attributes.vhd" ..." # invoked from within # "if [string is false -strict [modelsim_ae_select $FORCE_MODELSIM_AE_SELECTION]] { # eval vcom $USER_DEFINED_VHDL_COMPILE_OPTIONS $USER_DEFINED_COMPI..." # ("eval" body line 5) # invoked from within # "dev_com"

@KhaiY_Intel​  in the simscript.do generate from quartus where I have to put the the parameters to void optimization?

What I do is from modelsim transcript, I go to the folder inside the project /mentor where is the simscript.do and the I execute via: do simscript.do

Thanks

in the cript file there is no vsim

0 Kudos
Abe
Valued Contributor II

well, I've set it up on my system this way and it works for me.. not on 10.7 SE edition but lower one 10.5c

[vsim] ; Simulator resolution ; Set to fs, ps, ns, us, ms, or sec with optional prefix of 1, 10, or 100. Resolution = ps   ; vopt flow ; Set to turn on automatic optimization of a design. ; Default is on VoptFlow = 0   ; User time unit for run commands ; Set to default, fs, ps, ns, us, ms, or sec. The default is to use the ; unit specified for Resolution. For example, if Resolution is 100ps, ; then UserTimeUnit defaults to ps. ; Should generally be set to default. UserTimeUnit = default   ; Default run length RunLength = 100

I didnt use the -novopt option after setting this in the modelsim.ini file though.

0 Kudos