Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15465 Discussions

implicit declaration of function ‘send_sig_info’ error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am a student. I want to use OPenCL to write code for my FPGA. I installed FPGA SDK standard edition 17.1 in Ubuntu 16.04. After that I installed intel fpga runtime environment for opencl linux x86-64. After sourcing the script init_opencl.s, I was able to verify my installation using 'aocl version' command. After that I tried to install an FPGA board. So I tried the command 'aocl install' command. 

It stopped with an error saying/tmp/opencl_driver_tf7ebm/aclpci.c:343:17: error: implicit declaration of function ‘send_sig_info’ [-werror=implicit-function-declaration] int ret = send_sig_info(aclpci->signal_number, &aclpci->signal_info, aclpci- 

Complete output of the command: 

/media/deepak/82d940f9-6526-47c8-8053-79204d78529f/deepak/intelFPGA/17.1/aclrte-linux64/board/a10_ref? y aocl install: Running install from /media/deepak/82d940f9-6526-47c8-8053-79204d78529f/deepak/intelFPGA/17.1/aclrte-linux64/board/a10_ref/linux64/libexec /media/deepak/82d940f9-6526-47c8-8053-79204d78529f/deepak/intelFPGA/17.1/aclrte-linux64/board/a10_ref/linux64/libexec/install: 9: /tmp/opencl_driver_tF7ebM/aclpci_queue.o CC /tmp/opencl_driver_tF7ebM/aclpci.o /tmp/opencl_driver_tF7ebM/aclpci.c: In function ‘aclpci_irq’: /tmp/opencl_driver_tF7ebM/aclpci.c:343:17: error: implicit declaration of function ‘send_sig_info’ int ret = send_sig_info(aclpci->signal_number, &aclpci->signal_info, aclpci- ^ cc1: some warnings being treated as errors scripts/Makefile.build:308: recipe for target '/tmp/opencl_driver_tF7ebM/aclpci.o' failed make: *** Error 1 Makefile:1550: recipe for target '_module_/tmp/opencl_driver_tF7ebM' failed make: *** Error 2 make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-36-generic' aocl install: failed. deepak@deepak:deepak$ aocl install  

Help me out. 

Regards 

Deepak
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ubuntu is not officially supported by the Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL, and even though kernel compilation might work correct, the PCI-E driver likely won't (as is your case): 

http://dl.altera.com/requirements/17.1/ 

I recommend using a supported operating system. 

If you insist on using Ubuntu, you can take a look at this thread and see if the provided solution works for you: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56568
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks. I have now installed it in Windows 10. But the problem now is that aoc command is compiling a hello world program for DE2 board for 2.5 hours. 

The command I used: 

aoc device\hello_world.cl -o bin\hello_world.aocx --board de5net_a7 

hello_world.aocx content: 

// AOC kernel demonstrating device-side printf call 

__kernel void hello_world(int thread_id_from_which_to_print_message) { 

// Get index of the work item 

unsigned thread_id = get_global_id(0); 

if(thread_id == thread_id_from_which_to_print_message) { 

printf("Thread# %u: Hello from Altera's OpenCL Compiler!\n", thread_id); 

The following is message after executing the above command: 

Warning: Please use -board=<value> instead of --board <value> 

aoc: Running OpenCL parser.... 

aoc: Optimizing and doing static analysis of code... 

Compiling for FPGA. This process may take a long time, please be patient. 

Still the compilation has not stopped.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Depending on the characteristics of your machine (CPU speed, memory size, etc.) the compilation could take multiple hours.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Okay I understand. The reason why asked is that the kernel code looks simple and yet it took lot of time. That is why I asked. Thanks anyway

EBozo
Beginner

This happened to me and my solution is

Add #include <linux/sched/signal.h> to the aclpci.h file.

The location of the prototype, send_sig_info, changed, which is not in linux/sched.hanymore for the newer kernel, so that it failed to compile.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00003yyTBTSA2/de5net-opencl-support-on-ubuntu-1610?t=154157...

JMilt1
Beginner

EBozo's fix also worked for me - thanks! Much better than Altera's response of 'Ubuntu not supported' 🙂