Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

java crash when opening Qsys on windows 10

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello there, 

Im fairly new to quartus and im having an issue with Qsys. When i try to open Qsys from quartus, im getting a "java (tm) platform se binary has stopped working". Note that i have Quartus 16.1 with update 2 installed on a windows 10 system. Could this be an issue with compatibility with windows? I have also tried to run the Qsys in windows 7 compatible mode and it still did not work. Also, i saw on a old post that it might be because of any current JRE installed in the computer, but i dont seem to have any java related software installed on my computer besides quartus itself. 

Anyone might have a clue on the issue? 

Thanks 

Renato
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same issue. I upgraded from 16.0 to 16.1.2 yesterday (2/7/17) and encountered the problem. De-installed separate Java installation and 16.1.2 and now 16.0 won't run either. De-installed 16.0 and clean installed 16.1.2. No joy. Now I'm dead in the water. If I come across a solution, I'll post to this thread. 

Ken
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I downgraded back to 16.0 and still have the issue.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I will open a ticket with altera today after work to see if they can figure out something 

thanks for the replies.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unless Altera has seen this before and has a solution, I think we're in for a battle. For starters, I don't think many users that the issue (a guess from Google searches). Next, I don't think it has anything to do with the basic file sets in question: 

C:\altera\<ver>\quartus\sopc_builder\bin for the "qsys-edit.exe" executable, and, 

C:\altera\<ver>\quartus\bin64\jre64 for the Java SE Runtime. 

I have performed the following: 

1) Compared the jre64 files from a 16.0 installation to a 15.1 installation on another computer and they verify byte-for-byte. 

2) Copied the sopc_builder files from the 16.0 installation to a working 15.1 installation and it works fine. 

3) Run 16.0 from a new user environment (logged into the workstation as someone else) and it fails, so we should be able to eliminate C:\Users\<username>\* files as culprits. 

4) Went through the C:\ProgramData folder and removed anything suspicious. 

5) Run CCleaner on the registry to clean any dangling links and also removed questionable QSys and Java references using RegEdit. 

6) Deinstalled/reinstalled 16.0 between different types of cleanings. It still always crashes Java on one machine and runs on the other. 

Please let me know if you've learned anything.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Renato, 

This morning, I've temporarily replaced the JRE that Altera uses (1.8.0_05-b13) with the current one you can get from Oracle (1.8.0_121-b13) with no difference. I've also tried to connect JProfiler to the JVM in the short interval before it crashes without success. 

Can you please share the number of your Altera Service Request? I'd like to open another SR and reference yours, at the very least to indicate to them that more than one of us has an issue. Also, if you want to contact me directly, kcrocker<at symbol>kcconsulting<period>com works for me.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi there, 

sure no problem. here is the request number "11292306". Thanks for the research. This will help push altera to fix the bug.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Renato, 

My SR is 11292622.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys! 

I've been struggling with this all day, and just now found a solution. I finally narrowed it down to one thing changing since Qsys last started, which was me updating my nvidia drivers. I then found a recently updated log file in C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\nvstapisvr which apparently is related to nvidia 3D Vision, something I didn't even know I had installed. After removing it, Qsys is working again. So, if you're also running nvidia cards, check if the 3D Vision drivers are installed.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Nice, i will give a try. 

So to debug this issue, you check the state of your pc when the Qsys was working and the state of the pc when it was crashing and the difference was the nvidia 3d vision drivers? this was a nice debugging you did :D 

Thanks for all the research you guys did :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Brilliant! NVidia 3D Vision drivers were installed on my machine on Jan 24th. I must not have started QSys since then. When I upgraded Quartus a few days ago, it forced me to upgrade IP associated with the project, which led to the issue discovery. Removed the drivers (3D Vision Controller driver and 3D Vision driver) and QSys started up!!! I'm thrilled and overjoyed! Thank you 'storste'!!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So i tried what you have done by uninstalling nvidia 3d vision driver and removing that nvstapisvr but that did not help... There must be something more that we are missing.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Renato, 

So sorry to hear that this did not work out for you. Did you remove both NVidia 3D Vision drivers? Regardless of the outcome, the approach from 'storste' is sound. I had assumed that installing 16.1.2 was the locus of the problem, but it wasn't -- it was something that I did several weeks ago when I updated the video drivers. It might be worthwhile to go to Settings:Apps & Features and sort by install date and work backwards from the present. Please keep your progress (or lack thereof) posted on the thread. I'll try to support you however I can. I wish you the best of luck! I know firsthand how frustrating this can be!! 

Best Regards, 

Ken Crocker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If removing both drivers is not working I would try to completely clean out the video drivers and reinstall the latest ones. See if there's an option to not install the 3D Vision Drivers, or uninstall them directly afterwards. Keeping my fingers crossed that you're having the same problem as we did, and not something unrelated. Hopefully you're having the same issue as us, it would be really bad if there's something else also interfering with Qsys. 

I also started thinking that this would have been easy in Linux, I would have had an error log somewhere in "/var/log" that would have pointed me to the driver. Turns out I've never learned Windows properly, as I didn't know about the Event Viewer. Indeed, under Windows Logs > Application in the Event Viewer there's a lot of errors corresponding to the Qsys crashes, with this info: 

faulting application path: c:\altera_lite\16.0\quartus\bin64\jre64\bin\java.exe 

faulting module path: c:\program files (x86)\nvidia corporation\3d vision\nvscpapi64.dll 

So, in the future I will look in the Event Viewer first, it would have saved me many hours. :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok so i finally found the reason for the java crashes. Apparently nvidia released graphics driver that caused the java related applications to crash. the driver version was the "Nvidia’s GeForce Game Ready driver 378.49." I saw some posts on the net were Minecraft players were getting Java runtime environment crashes like we were and how it was after a nvidia driver update to 378.49. Thankfully nvida released a hotfix in which i installed and the problem went away.  

The Hotfix is the "driver 378.57" and it will fix java related crashes. 

What a journey:)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hmmm.. I'm currently running "NVIDIA Graphics Driver 378.49" without issues, as long as I don't have any of the 3D Vision stuff. I'll investigate using 378.57. Thanks for the update.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For my GeForce GTX 1060 6GB graphics adapter, NVidia shows 378.49 as the most up-to-date driver and gives me no other options. Perhaps your graphics adapter has separate issues with that version. In any case, I'm glad that your problems have resolved!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Its a hotfix, so i guess its not a released driver. You can google nvidia hotfix and probably you will find it. Also the bug must have been related to the 3d vision then since you guys fixed your issue by removing the driver. Anyhow, im glad the struggle is over &#128076;

0 Kudos