Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15322 Discussions

quartus_map generate symbol functionality does not support BDF file as input

VVavr1
Beginner

quartus_map fails to generate symbol for BDF file

quartus_map --generate_symbol=file.bdf ... Error (12073): Can't create symbol or include file -- file file.bdf is a BDF or compatible file

I think this should be supported since from Quartus I can open BDF file and do File > Create/Update > Create Symbol Files for Current File.

I found that using quartus_map I can convert BDF file to HDL file and than create symbol file for HDL file using quartus_map. But in that case resulted symbol file is slightly different than one created from UI. To be more precise I get other pins order.

So I think quartus_map should allow me to convert BDF file to symbol file directly to get consistent results with Quartus UI.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

I tried to replicate the issue & realized the same behavior about .bdf file if as a input but I couldn`t find any difference in symbol file.

Regards,

Vikas Jathar

Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

I tried to replicate the issue & realized the same behavior about .bdf file if as a input but I couldn`t find any difference in symbol file.

Regards,

Vikas Jathar

VVavr1
Beginner

I think that the fact that quartus_map does not accept .bdf as input is already a problem. Because documentation everywhere says it should accept. And UI allows to do this.

Vicky1
Employee

Hi VVavr1,

Yes, it`s a bug & I will try to report it.

Thanks.

Regards,

Vikas Jathar