Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

"Can't elaborate user hierarchy auto_fab_0" on adding signal_tap

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a design that uses some Altera RTL and some of my own RTL.  

I am trying to add a few signals to Signal Tap, but on Analysis and Elaboration, I get this error: 

"Error(13869): VHDL Binding Indication error at altera_mf_components.vhd(4895): design entity "altsyncram" does not contain generic "stratixiv_m144k_allow_dual_clocks" specified in associated component " 

"Can't elaborate user hierarchy auto_fab_0" 

"Error(19882): Automatic debug logic insertion has failed. " 

If I remove all the signals from Signal Tap this error goes away.  

I need to get around this error to debug on Signal Tap. Help?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15788&stc=1  

Please see attachment of error.  

output_files/dsa_top.syn.rpt:Error (13869):  

VHDL Binding Indication error at altera_mf_components.vhd(4895): design entity "altsyncram" does not contain generic "stratixiv_m144k_allow_dual_clocks" specified in associated component File: /tools/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/quartus/libraries/vhdl/altera_mf/altera_mf_components.vhd Line: 4895 

altera_mf_components.vhd: 

stratixiv_m144k_allow_dual_clocks : string := "ON";
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The screenshot is illegible. 

But what signals are you trying to tap that make it work when they are not tapped? From the message, perhaps you are trying to tap an internal memory block signal that can't be tapped. When you add signals to Signal Tap, make sure you use the Node Finder and set the filter to "Signal Tap: pre-synthesis" (preferred since you can tap your direct RTL signals) or "Signal Tap: post-fit".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The screenshot is illegible. 

But what signals are you trying to tap that make it work when they are not tapped? From the message, perhaps you are trying to tap an internal memory block signal that can't be tapped. When you add signals to Signal Tap, make sure you use the Node Finder and set the filter to "Signal Tap: pre-synthesis" (preferred since you can tap your direct RTL signals) or "Signal Tap: post-fit". 

--- Quote End ---  

I am just trying to tap harmless signals such as clocks and resets. I think it is the memory used for SignalTap trace storage itself, that causes this altsyncsram error to occur.  

Re-attaching a clearer screenshot here: https://imgur.com/a/yxmt0ie
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you using the Node Finder filters I mentioned? If so, Signal Tap would not let you tap something that was untappable.

0 Kudos