Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems

CycloneV MPU clock frequency

aurec2
Beginner

Hello,

I am using the CycloneV 5CSXFC6C6U23I7 SoC. According to the specifications cyclone V, SX models should allow for a core frequency of up to 925 MHz.

However, when I try to change the Hard Processor Settings in the Platform designer I get the following error message:

"Error: hps_0: "MPU clock frequency" (desired_mpu_clk_mhz) 900.0 is out of range: 25.0-800.0"

Could someone tell me how I can avoid this, or in other words:

Could someone tell me how to set the MPU frequency of the 5CSXFC6C6U23I7 SoC to 900 MHz.

Many thanks in advance.

Andreas

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Have you changed the device assignment correctly in Quartus settings?

I didn't get the Quartus version that you are using, can you share the version that you are testing on?

0 Kudos
aurec2
Beginner

Hi.

thanks for your answer.  The device settings are correct, both in the platform designer and in quartus project. Normally I am using Quartus Prime 17.1.

The mentioned problem occurs in using Quartus Prime 17.1 and in Quartus Prime 19.1.

Best

Andre

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I recommend that you check the "MPU clock frequency" at the default value of 800 MHz. At boot-up, please re-check the clock frequency again.

0 Kudos
aurec2
Beginner

Hi,

thanks for your answer. This is what I did, i.e. currently the device runs at 800 MHz.  On booting up the SPL confirms that the MPU frequency is set at 800 MHz.

As you are certainly aware - the specified device allows for a MPU frequency of 925 MHz.

Are there any specific steps, other than choosing the correct device in the  Platform designer?

As for now I still can only choose 800 MHz as a MPU frequency in the Platform designer.

Answers would be appreciated.

Many thanks ,Andreas.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

After rechecking, unfortunately you may have read the part number wrongly, you may refer below on what your part number represents, yours is a C7 speed grade, not a C6, which has max 800MHz supported clock speed:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_51001.pdf#page=14

A C6 should have part number as 5CSXFC6D6F31C*6*N

Performance reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/mcn1422497163812.html#mcn1423472623592

0 Kudos
aurec2
Beginner

Hi,

thanks for your answer. Indeed I was not aware of the fact that only device with the fastest speed grade can be clocked with 925 MHz.

Tanks for your support.

Andreas

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

No worries, let me know if you have any further questions.

0 Kudos