Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
446 Discussions

QSPI NOR flash boot programming

CRubi
Novice

I'm transferring 64MB of qspiimage.img image to QSPI NOR S25FL512 flash on our custom board (uses A10SoC same as GHRD design).

It takes a long time to finish the image transfer (>2hr).

qspi_nor_flash_programming.png

I’m following steps from

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/A10Gsrd161QspiBoot

qspi_step_by_step_prog.pngMay I know how can I speed up the qspiimage.img transfer (64MB).

Thanks,

Allen Rubis

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Hello, Can you please help to confirm which QSPI flash you are using in your custom board? Here are the supported flash devices for A10 SoC FPGA: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/supported-flash-devices-for-arria-10-soc.html Regards,
0 Kudos
GGeor25
Beginner

Hello Allen,

This approach will be always slow. But once you flash-ed the image then the update could be done quite fast depending from few things.

1. networking support in that linux image
  2. mtd utils present in linux image

Once programmed the image, you will be able to transfer the next image file into DDRAM (ramfs) with ftp or sftp and then usind mtd utils (flashcp, flash_erase, etc...) to program the image to the device. it will be significantly faster.

Unfortunatelly I am not familiar with the contents of that linux version.

Cordially

Georgi

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Thank you Georgi for your comment, Hello Allen, This approach will be always slow. But once you flash-ed the image then the update could be done quite fast depending from few things. networking support in that linux image mtd utils present in linux image Once programmed the image, you will be able to transfer the next image file into DDRAM (ramfs) with ftp or sftp and then usind mtd utils (flashcp, flash_erase, etc...) to program the image to the device. it will be significantly faster.
0 Kudos