Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
445 Discussions

Reading memory mapped ADC values from HPS running Linux.

GApts
Beginner

Hi, I am running Ubuntu (kernel 4.5) provided by Terasic on my DE1-SoC board.

From the demonstrations in the CD, I modified the hardware project and added ADC controller for DE series boards to the Qsys project like this:

Qsys ADC.png

The ADC is mapped to 0x0000_0000 to 0x0000_001F as a lightweight HPS to FPGA memory mapped slave.

I generated the HDL, added ADC to the top-level verilog file like this:

https://github.com/giorgi3092/ECG_HW_SW_DE1_SoC/blob/master/DE1_SOC_Linux_FB_HW/DE1_SOC_Linux_FB.v

Compiled the project, converted the .sof file to .rbf file and replaced the existing .rbf file on the SD card with the one I generated (with the same name of course).

I started the DE1-SoC board and it booted normally.

Next, I write the following program to read the values from ADC and print the values on the console:

https://pastebin.com/heZFaZA2

I map the ADC's base address to the virtual space, then I initiate an update of the 8 channels by writing to the UPDATE register, as described in the IP's manual: ftp://ftp.intel.com/Pub/fpgaup/pub/Intel_Material/18.1/University_Program_IP_Cores/Input_Output/ADC_Controller_for_DE_Series_Boards.pdf chapter 4, software programming model.

I also isolate the 12 bits from 32-bit values.

Then I read the values expecting to read the values of the ADC.

(I slightly modified the code for better illustration of what I am doing (removed extra computations). I don't have the board with me to check if it compiles but you get the idea)..

Running this program, I only get 0's for all 8 channels. If I write any value to the UPDATE register, I read out the exact same value for the UPDATE register. I tried the auto-update register as well, getting the same values.

Maybe my programming model is wrong. Can you give me any feedback?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GApts
Beginner

anyone? I could not find information about ADC control from HPS running Linux anywhere. I seem to be doing it correctly according to the ADC IP docs but apparently not.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

HI,

I apologize for the late response, may I k now which Quartus/SoC EDS version that you used to test this?

I could not access the github page that you shared. Was there any error in Platform Designer/Quartus during compilation?

Also, during booting was there any error or hung up in the booting logs?

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Do you have any follow up from your side?

Regards.

0 Kudos