Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
2417 Discussions

Making Parallel Sort Comparator Thread Safe

Shant_H_
Beginner

Hello,

I'm using parallel_sort and regretfully my comparator needs to use a object that is not thread safe. I can make copies of this object for each thread and then the comparator would just need to use the right copy for the thread it is on, kind of like a thread_local but not global.

I'm looking for some tips on how to achieve this with TBB. I know task_scheduler_observer and enumerable_thread_specific are both options for implementing thread_locals but I'm not sure which is better in my case.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RafSchietekat
Black Belt

task_scheduler_observer is not about thread-local storage.

Just use "tbb::enumerable_thread_specific<Comparator> ets_c(c);", with c your prototype Comparator.

(Added) Oh yes, you still have to pass it to the sort algorithm, without having it copied... probably with a simple wrapper object, with a member variable that's a pointer or reference to ets_c.