Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Pipeline parallelism in TBB flow graph

Michael3
Beginner

Hello,

I am working on an image processing application which is built with tbb::flow_graph.
The input comes from a video file or a camera.
Each image processing node is wrapped in a multifunction_node (I need the multifunction_node's ability to selectively stop propagating graph messages).
Currently I am using graph.wait_for_all() after feeding each input frame into the root node, but I would like to be able to take advantage of pipeline parallelism.
I.e. if node A is connected to node B, I would like to let node A start working on its next input after it is done producing its output for B, instead of waiting for B to finish.

Could you please provide cues for how to do this efficiently and idiomatically?
I am new to TBB and I feel that I might be missing something obvious.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
James_T_Intel

I apologize for the delayed response on your question.

I recommend using the async_node class. You can set up the async_node to process node A's input while node B is still waiting. See https://www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/docs/help/reference/flow_graph/async_node_cls.html for details.

I am closing this thread for Intel support. Any future replies will be considered community only.

0 Kudos