Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

parallel_reduce body objects leaked when cancelled

Darcy_Harrison
Beginner

Hello,

I'm noticing that the body objects that are created during the execution of parallel_reduce are being leaked (ie. not destroyed) when the a body's operator() throws an exception (or tbb::task::self().cancel_group_execution() is used. The documentation does not make any mention of this issue. Is it a bug, or intentional (though it seems unlikely that it is intentional).

I have attached a simple test case that reproduces the behavior (This was built with MSVC 2010 Win32 Debug, but the behavior was first noticed in an x64 Release build).

Here is sample output that shows that destructors are not called:

New body #0
New body #1 split from #0
New body #2 split from #0
New body #3 split from #0
New body #4 split from #1
Joined body #3 to #0
Deleted body #3
New body #5 split from #2
New body #6 split from #5
New body #7 split from #1
Joined body #6 to #5
Deleted body #6
Joined body #5 to #2
Deleted body #5
Joined body #2 to #0
Deleted body #2
New body #8 split from #7
New body #9 split from #1
Joined body #8 to #7
Deleted body #8
New body #10 split from #9
New body #11 split from #4
New body #12 split from #10
New body #13 split from #11
Deleted body #0
Exception
Created: 14 objects, deleted 6 objects

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Darcy_Harrison
Beginner
Upon further debugging, it appears that parallel_reduce has a resource deallocation bug. Specifically in tbb::interface#::internal::finish_reduce when has_right_zombie is true. If the task is cancelled (explicitly or via an exception) the finish_reduce::zombie_space member may contain a constructed body object but finish_reduce::execute will not be called (due to the cancellation) so the destructor is never run. This simple patch outlines a fix. --- tbb/parallel_reduce.h Tue Oct 16 16:08:32 2012 +++ tbb/parallel_reduce.h Tue Oct 16 16:08:44 2012 @@ -62,12 +62,18 @@ my_body(NULL) { } + ~finish_reduce(){ + if( has_right_zombie ) + zombie_space.begin()->~Body(); + } + task* execute() { if( has_right_zombie ) { // Right child was stolen. Body* s = zombie_space.begin(); my_body->join( *s ); s->~Body(); + has_right_zombie = false; } if( my_context==1 ) // left child itt_store_word_with_release( static_cast(parent())->my_body, my_body );
0 Kudos
Anton_M_Intel
Employee
Darcy Harrison wrote:

Upon further debugging, it appears that parallel_reduce has a resource deallocation bug. Specifically in tbb::interface#::internal::finish_reduce when has_right_zombie is true. If the task is cancelled (explicitly or via an exception) the finish_reduce::zombie_space member may contain a constructed body object but finish_reduce::execute will not be called (due to the cancellation) so the destructor is never run.

This simple patch outlines a fix.

Thank you a lot for the report and suggested bugfix!
0 Kudos
Darcy_Harrison
Beginner

Looking at the 4.1 Update 3 release, I see that this bug is still outstanding. Please fix it!

0 Kudos
olegmax
Beginner

So what about this issue. Its presence in the latest TBB is pretty frustrating.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

the fix is on the way, stay tuned:)

--Vladimir

0 Kudos