Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

0x8086210E: Internal KVM failure

RSuth2
Beginner

Hello,

I'm setting up a Supermicro server with an X10SAE board and I have issues getting AMT KVM to work.

I set everything in the AMT ME bootup interface and also configured via KVM Console (KVMControlApplication.exe) to "KVM Status: Enabled - all ports". Here, I was not sure which "Default visibile monitor" to choose, so I tried each of them. Result was always the same:

With any VNC viewer, I can connect to the server. I can authenticate and successfully log in. After that, the attached screen on the server shows a red/yellow flashing border and a connection icon in the right upper corner. When I move the mouse or press a keyboard key in the VNC client, I can see these actions being performed on the server screen.

BUT: The problem is, that the VNC client stays clear. Depending on the VNC client I use, the window stays always black or red. This is independent of the state the server is in, i.e. it's the same if the server is in POST/BIOS/booting up, or the operating system has fully booted. Nevertheless, the client gets notified by the changes of the screen resolution, so the VNC window changes size when the server changes from POST to booting up and then again when reaching the GUI.

Depending on the VNC server I use, the VNC client terminates after a short time (less than a minute) without comments, or tries to reestablish the connection. Interesting enough, Real VNC shows the error message

0x8086210E: Internal KVM failure

which is, according to the "Intel AMT implementation and Reference Guide" an "Internal failure". Not very helpful.

I'm stuck here. Help would be appreciated.

The Intel Active Management Technology webinterface shows:

Platform

Computer model: X10SAE

Manufacturer: Supermicro

Baseboard

Manufacturer: Supermicro

Product name: X10SAE

Version: 1.01

BIOS

Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.

Version: 3.0

Release date: 05/20/2015

Processor 1

Manufacturer: Intel

Family: Intel® Xeon® processor

Socket: SOCKET 0

Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz

1. ME Bios 10.0.0.0004 / ME 9.0.1.1333

2. Just 1 display is attached

3. I'm using the onboard graphics for the chip and the HDMI display. There is a DVI port on the motherboard, too, but I am not using that.

4. IP is 192.168.1.10. This is on the LAN.

5. Direct connection

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
8 Replies
UBaco
Beginner

I happen to have the exact same setup with the exact same symptoms, just wondering since there has been no response, if you have had any luck at all?

0 Kudos
JNola2
Beginner

I have this problem as well. Is there no solution?

0 Kudos
Dariusz_W_Intel
Employee

Intel AMT 9.x supports KVM redirection at resolution up to 2560x1600. http://ark.intel.com/products/80916/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1246-v3-8M-Cache-3_50-GHz Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1246 v3 (8M Cache, 3.50 GHz) Specifications procesor integrated graphics supports up to mailto:3840x2160@60Hz 3840x2160@60Hz on HDMI and DP ports.

So if you set server resolution above max Intel AMT supported resolution KVM will not work properly.

Red Yellow frame and connection icon are elements of Intel AMT privacy indicators and are generated and displayed locally only by Intel procesor integrated graphics, regardless of current/AMT supported resolution, so they are not redirected over KVM.

There is BIOS component related to Intel AMT KVM redirection feature -so if this fails KVM will fail.

Check if there is newer BIOS update from the board OEM ?

ME 9.0.1.1333 is pretty old ME FW version (it is actually first update after production version) - and in general is replaced by ME FW 9.1.x versions.

Note ME 9.5.x is for SoC designs (Tablets/2in1) and is not applicable to your platform.

The latest one available for OEMs is ME FW 9.1.37.1002 altough it may not be validated by your board OEM - check if there is ME FW update published on the OEM web?

0 Kudos
JNola2
Beginner

Hi dariusz, thanks for the quick reply. I am having the same problems as gr8pe.

Baseboard

Manufacturer: MSI

Product Name: CSM-Q87M-E43 (MS-7830)

Version: 2.0

BIOS

Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.

Version: V10.5

Release Date: 04/01/2015

Processor 1

Family: Intel® Core™ i7 Processor

Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz

I am currently hooked up to a 1280x1024 monitor via VGA, and the BIOS is the most recent version available by the vendor (MSI). When using RealVNC and going to info, it says "Line-speed estimate: 0kbit/s (RTT ~91ms)". When using UltraVNC, the status window shows "Bytes Received" stays at "76 bytes" initially and then jumps to 94 all while "Bytes Sent" climbs up normally. It seems like the AMT VNC server isn't sending data back? I don't think it's a connection issue, as Serial-over-LAN works to navigate the BIOS and I can see that screen fine.

0 Kudos
DScho5
Beginner

I am now experiencing precisely the same problem but with a Supermicro X10SAT motherboard, hosting an Intel Xeon E3-1275 V3 CPU (no external GPU).

vPro/AMT KVM was working fine until today when I unfortunately updated the BIOS to R3.0 (5/26/15). Now the AMT KVM behaves just as gr8ape describes -- no video transferred (bytes received count at 76) and keystrokes reaching the server until the connection terminates with the internal KVM failure.

I've already logged a case with Supermicro and will report back any result. Worst case, I'm hoping Supermicro can at least share older BIOS revisions so that I can revert

Thanks,

Don

Edit: Kin Yan from Supermicro support replied to my query within 15 minutes and provided a new (beta/internal) BIOS image named X10SAT_T201509031611.ROM. This update seems to have resolved the issue completely, so if you're using another SM motherboard, you may want to contact their tech support. I'm quite impressed with their speedy and helpful response!

0 Kudos
Dariusz_W_Intel
Employee

Don,

I am glad that root cause was identified and that new BIOS update fixed issue.X10SAT_T201509031611.ROM

Did you have any chance to note Intel ME FW versions with the "old" working BIOS, with R3.0 "not working" and with Beta BIOS (10SAT_T201509031611.ROM) ?

Intel ME FW can be always updated locally/separately but some BIOS update packages may contain ME FW update too.

rgds

Darek

0 Kudos
DScho5
Beginner

Darek,

I suspect the X10SAT BIOS packages do contain ME FW updates as you suggested. Unfortunately I didn't note the ME FW version in my original BIOS or in the non-working BIOS package that is currently available for download from SuperMicro's site, i.e., X10SAT5_526.zip.

The beta BIOS (10SAT_T201509031611.ROM) provided by Supermicro tech support to fix the issue shows the following information:

Supermicro X10SAT

Version: 3.0.T201509031611

Build Date: 09/03/2015

ME FW Version: 9.1.25.1005

Thanks,

Don

0 Kudos
СЛева
Beginner

I had fixed bios version (BETTA) where the AMT work correct. If you want - just let me know.

0 Kudos