Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Do any Surface Pro devices support vPro?

ICIT
New Contributor I

Surface Pro 8 and 9 for Business devices have processors that support vPro, but I'm trying to determine if Microsoft has actually enabled vPro support on these devices. Anyone know?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Why not ask Microsoft?  It is their product.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
ICIT
New Contributor I

Why bother responding if you don't know the answer?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Why ask a microsoft question on an Intel forum?

0 Kudos
ICIT
New Contributor I

Well I thought there might be someone helpful here who actually knows something about vPro and Surface Pros. So far no luck.

P.S. Believe it or not it did occur to me to ask Microsoft first. Since I haven't heard back I thought I would look elsewhere in the meantime.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"Well I thought there might be someone helpful here who actually knows something about vPro and Surface Pros. "

Vpro - yes.  Microsoft Surface Pros - no.   Again, it is their product and their implementation.  And, if someone here were to provide some answer, and it was incorrect,  what would you do?  Go to the device manufacturer and ask them.

0 Kudos
ICIT
New Contributor I

OMG you are so annoying.

If someone has a useful answer then I'd love to hear. If no one knows that's ok too. I'm not looking to sue anyone if they post a wrong answer.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What is annoying is that you keep thinking that this forum is the source for some answer on a Microsoft product.  

Go to Microsoft for the answer you so badly need.

0 Kudos
Comfy
Beginner

Well, i would say (just a thought though) - usually every device ive ever seen thats supports vpro has the sticker on it....even motherboards (bought an asus one years ago) came with the sticker in the box....plus im guessing it would be in the specs (of whichever one youre going for...) would also be the case...

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Hi ICIT, as far as we know, some Microsoft Surface Pro's may have the vPro prcoessor but are not fully vPro compliant. There is a stringent process that OEM's go through to get the vPro stamp (which includes Active Management Technology) and they do not go through our main process for verification. I'm still checking internally to see for sure and will get back to you. Further, looking at the specs on the Microsoft site, there is no mention of vPro.

0 Kudos
ICIT
New Contributor I

Thanks for that helpful answer. Yes, I noticed that vPro is not mentioned in the specs on Microsoft's website as well. However there are a few reviews out there stating (or implying) that the Surface Pro 8 and 9 support vPro.

For example

New Microsoft Leak Reveals Three Stunning Surface Pro Upgrades (forbes.com)

I have a suspicion that these authors are basing the claim simply on the fact that the processors support vPro and not from specific knowledge about Surface Pro support for it.

I appreciate any follow up details if/when you get them.

0 Kudos
mps1
Beginner

I have had the same question because it is my understanding that in addition to AMT,  vPro adds hardware based security features otherwise unavailable with non vPro platforms. I read on one forum that this could be enabled through the UEFI. I just tried this and this is not the case. The microsoft UEFI is extremely limited, especially if the device is enrolled through intune. I had a feeling vPro was not enabled with the surface because when it is, the Intel Evo with vPro or whatever is usually specifically identified and with the surface it is conspicuously only Intel Core with Evo. 

I'm guess Microsoft did this intentionally in order to push people to use the MS365/Azure/Intune Surface management platform.

I have read in different forums that the vPro is enabled on the Surface Pro for Business SKUs. I have an Intel Pro for Business SKU and I can confirm this is not the case. 

0 Kudos
ICIT
New Contributor I

Which Surface Pro model do you have?

I was thinking the same thing, the MS may intentionally be leaving out vPro support in favor of their own management framework. That would be a very MS thing to do. If so that would be a shame. The firmware level remote access functionality in vPro is invaluable in a business environment.

0 Kudos
mps1
Beginner

I have a Surface Pro 8 for Business.

The UEFI on it is very barebones and looks very curated by Microsoft, so having the vPro's out of band KVM in the firmware might undermine what they are trying to do with that.

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Hi ICIT,

Thank you for your patience. I was able to track this down. There are zero Microsoft Surface devices that are vPro compliant.

Regards,

Michael

ICIT
New Contributor I

Thanks, I appreciate you looking into it and following up.

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Your welcome and thank you for asking the question, seems like there were a few people that were interested in the answer to your question.

Regards,

Michael