Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

IntelvPro PS module v15.0.0.1 bug prevents module import, and Powershell v7 compatibility

mseng3
Novice
Hello, I recently attempted to use the IntelvPro powershell module v14.0.0.1.2 (which comes with AMT-SDK-14.0.1.0) on Powershell v7. It appears to fail connecting to endpoints (though throws no errors). I've used this module successfully for a long on Powershell v5.1 successfully.

Can someone please authoritatively state (or link to a statement about) which versions of Powershell the IntelvPro module is officially supported on?

Secondly, I saw that newer SDK versions have been released since I installed v14.0.0.1.2. Currently AMT-SDK-15.0.0.1 is released, which contains IntelvPro module v15.0.0.1. I figured I'd try installing this to see if the newer version works on Powershell v7. The bad behavior I noted didn't change, however at first I was unable to even import it because there is a "bug" in the code.

On line 353 of Invoke-AMTGUI.ps1, a for loop uses the unicode "dash" character ("–", U+2013 : EN DASH), instead of the proper "hyphen" character ("-", U+002D : HYPHEN-MINUS {hyphen or minus sign}). Apparently this is not an issue in Powershell v5.1 but it causes Powershell v7 to fail importing the module. See attached screenshot.

Once I replaced the dash character with a regular hyphen the module could be successfully imported.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello mseng3,

Thank you for joining the Intel community

We appreciate your feedback which, by the way, is impresive that you even could do the debuging job by your own. About the SDK/PowerShell compatibility we don't have further information other than the one posted in the download site. We can do some research with our seniour team though. I will elevate your info about the hyphen bug found too.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello mseng3,

Intel's intent is to support Powershell version 15 the same as 14. It looks like something has changed in how Powershell 15 interprets the character vs 14. We appreciate you for notify us regarding the inconsistency. We will update the SW developers for EMA SDK to remedy this. It might be the cause of using an international keyboard. Either way, we will make sure to pass the information along to fix it. In the meantime, you should just substitute the character as a workaround.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
mseng3
Novice

Hi Jose,

I appreciate the response, however there's been a misunderstanding somewhere.

v14 and v15 are not versions of Powershell, they are versions of the AMT-SDK and IntelvPro Powershell module released by Intel. The predominant versions of Powershell itself (released by Microsoft) are v5.1, v6, and v7.

My question is whether Intel intends for any version of the IntelvPro Powershell module to be compatible with Powershell version 7. As noted, even when the bug is manually fixed, the IntelvPro module still does not work correctly in Powershell v7. It works correctly in Powershell v5.1.

The answer to this question has real implications on how we design our environment. Can you please get an answer to the question from the Intel team which supports the IntelvPro module?

Thank you,

== Matt

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello mseng3,

Thank you for the clarification. Let me explain this to our senior team and I will let you know any future updates.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello mseng3,

First of all we want to apologize for the delayed response, but we wanted to get an official message for them from the product group.

Been said that please also note that any product communication does not constitute a product commitment of any sort and Intel reserves the right to change product feature priorities without providing customer notification at any time.

Intel plan of record today is support for PowerShell 5.1 as noted in the SDK documentation. However, there are plans for Powershell 7 support. PowerShell 7 is currently in the backlog and the Intel development team is planning to start work in the Q4 timeframe.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
mseng3
Novice

Hi, thanks for the response. Could you please provide a link to the SDK documentation you're referring to where it states the supported Powershell versions? I was unable to find that myself, which is why I needed to ask the question.

Thanks,

== Matt

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello mseng3,

The previous info was provided by one of our senior team members. Let me request for the documentation and I will get back to you soon

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
mseng3
Novice

Hi Jose, you can disregard that request. I found the information in the PDF documentation that comes with the Powershell module in the SDK. package. Not sure how I missed it before.

On page 10 of "Intel vPro Technology Module for Windows PowerShell Installation and User Guide.pdf", in section "2.1 Requirements":

2.1 Requirements
    IT / Console PC
        Any PC with Microsoft Windows and:
            • Windows PowerShell versions up to and including 5.1
            • Windows Remote Management (WinRM)

Thanks,

== Matt

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello mseng3,

Thank you for the update. We got it from this link too

https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/WordDocuments/powershellmodule.htm

If no other questions then we will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and submit a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos