Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Looking for F12 key mapping

idata
Employee

Has anyone tried to send a F12 keystroke to the terminal window? I'm trying to initiate a PXE boot session with our WDS server. At the point where I would press F12 to connect it just time out. I have tried F12 and <ESC><2> with no luck.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Brian_Cockrell
Employee

The function key mappings are different depending on the client system that you are trying to manage. The F12 key may be mapped to another key combination on your client. When you initiate the SOL session (terminal window) look for a key mapping that appears in the SOL window as it launches.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I saw the mappings in the SOL session but there was not one for F12. The closest one was for F10 (<esc><0>). That why I tried <esc><2>. The PC is a Dell 755.

0 Kudos
Brian_Cockrell
Employee

What method are you using to initiate your SOL session? Are you using management software to perform a remote boot to BIOS?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm currently using the Intel System Defense utility.

0 Kudos
Brian_Cockrell
Employee

Using the System Defense Utility's Boot to BIOS function forces you to boot directly to the BIOS configuration page. You cannot alter the process by pressing F12 to boot to PXE even if you had the correct key mapping.

However, your original post indicated that you want to boot to WDS. You can do this in the System Defense Utility by selecting "Boot the PC with some other IDE/bootable image on the network" and then selecting "Image File". Select the WDS bootable image file and then click on "Remote Control". The remote PC will now boot directly to the WDS boot image and a SOL session window will open.

0 Kudos