Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Remote Power-on via Manageability Commander

GRile
New Contributor I

Hi there,

I'd like to just double check that it should be possible to power-on / wake a remote machine via the Manageability Commander if the environment is configured correctly?

I have a basic lab comprising two workgroup windows 10 x64 machines connected via an unmanaged switch. The firewall is off on both machines and I have configured IPv4 and disabled IPv6.

I have configured a Lenovo M900z (Intel Ethernet I219-LM) using the ACUWizard and I am able to connect to it remotely using the Manageability Commander 1.0.8. I am then able to connect via remote desktop and power cycle the machine, etc. The problem I have is that I am unable to wake the machine up if it is switched off but I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong. I have been able to wake the machine from sleep so I am close! If you look at the attached image you can see that under Power policy, ON is only configured for S0.

I've also attached some images showing the M900z NIC configuration.

Many thanks in advance.

Graham

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dariusz_W_Intel
Employee

Graham,

ME Power Policy is set for ON in S0, ME Wake in S3, S4-5 which is correct /the best setting for remote manageability in ALLpower states as long on AC power (M900z is All-in-One so AC is its only power source )

ME Power policy defines when ME features (AMT OOB Management) will be available in different PC power states.

ON- ME is active and running (for AMT 11 or newer it will be also ON in Connected Standby/MS InstantGo state (S0ix), ME Wake in S3, S4-5 means ME will go into its own low power state (~ 500mW as measured on power cord for mobile system) when there is no active AMT communication from management console (after configurable ME timeout if idle) but LAN/WLAN NICs are still powered on and will listen to AMT traffic.

If there will be AMT TCP/IP communication to this system LAN/WLAN NIC will wake ME's logic part and it will respond to your commands.

in S4 (Hibernate) or S5 (Powered Off) state you shall be able to:

• Connect from Intel Manageability Commander (or any other AMT Tool SW like Power shell modules or even WebUi (on port 16992)) and get console connected to AMT FW.

Try to disconnect and then connect again -does it re-connect?
  • Power system ON and use Remote Desktop (KVM) or SOL/IDER redirection features.

(it works in my vPro LAB )

possible issue root causes:

1. if you have system connected over both LAN and WLAN one of them may overwrite host entry in DNS so your DNS resolves WLAN IP while AMT WLAN is not configured yet for OOB Management.
  2. ME FW issue - your screen shows ME FW 11.0.0.? while there is much newer Intel ME FW 11.0.10.1002 update available at http://support.lenovo.com/de/en/products/Desktops-and-all-in-ones/ThinkCentre-M-Series-desktops/ThinkCentre-M900z/downloads/DS112736 Intel Management Engine Firmware Update Tool - ThinkCentre, ThinkStation and ThinkServer - Lenovo Support please update ME FW, reboot system (to reload ME FW runtime) and check it.

rgds

darek

0 Kudos
GRile
New Contributor I

Thanks so much Darek, I thought it had to be possible! To answer your questions:

1. Both machines are connected using Ethernet / LAN. Hostname / IP resolution of the M900z is working from the Commander machine.
  2. I will apply the new firmware - thanks for this.

I think having looked a little further that the issue might be that once the M900Z is powered off, all network traffic stops and I can no longer ping the machine. I have static IP address configured on the M900Z which might also be a problem - I will try with DHCP.

The other thing that I am not sure about is the MEBx configuration section of the BIOS - I am not sure what needs to be enabled / disabled. If I set it all to Disabled I can still connect remotely using Commander when M900z is powered on so i'm not sure what is to be gained by enabling these options in the BIOS. In the BIOS do you think I need to enable "Intel manageability Control" and do you also think I need to enable / disable "Press to Enter MEBx"? Do I need to configure something in there?

Thanks again for your help.

Graham

0 Kudos