Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2835 Discussions

VNC Viewer+ through IPv6

idata
Employee

Hi Everyone.

We have setup an SCS server and preformed PKI Enterprise activation of our vPro workstations.

With the VNCViewer+ client, we can connect to the vPro workstations, but only through IPv4. As soon as I try to use IPv6, the VNC client gets hung up.

From everything I've read and heard, IPv6 should not be a problem yet it is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jay

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jacob_G_Intel
Employee

Starting with AMT version 6, AMT has IPv6 support. There are some differences between IPv4 & IPv6. First, IPv6 is disabled by default. The quickest way to check for this, and enable IPv6 on 1 system is to use the WebUI.

The second difference is that AMT does *not* share IPv6 addresses with the host OS. So, you'll need to be sure you're connecting to on of AMT's IPv6 address, and not the host's. The webUI will also show you AMT's IPv6 addresses.

Check those the above, and try again. If you're still having trouble, let me know if you are using TLS, if you're connecting by FQDN vs IP address, if you're using digest or Kerberos to authenticate, and what version of SCS you are using.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Jake, that explains a lot of the issues we have been having. I'll share the solution I came up with if you or anyone else is interested.

I wrote a dos batch file that prompts the user for the FQDN. They punch that in and then behind the scenes the batch file does a ping hostname -4, so I can get the IPv4 address. Then I add that entry into the hosts file, then launches VNC viewer from the commandline with the hostname. At that point VNC is forced to use the IPv4 address and everything communicates correctly. Then when the VNC session is over, it restores their host file back.

Not the prettiest solution, but it does work so I'm happy!

Thanks again for the information - it was very helpful :-)

Here's the code:

@echo off

setlocal enabledelayedexpansion

set INPUT=

set /P INPUT=Full Hostname (ie. host.domain.com): %=%

set _ping_cmd=ping -n 1 %INPUT% -4

FOR /f "tokens=2 delims=[]=" %%G IN ('%_ping_cmd% ^|find "]"') DO (

REM echo Result is %%G

copy c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.bak

echo %%G %INPUT%>>c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

)

"c:\program files\realvnc\vncviewerplus\vncviewerplus.exe" %INPUT%

copy c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.bak c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

0 Kudos