Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

vPro ip vs dhcp

idata
Employee

I am preparing my installation of OOB in SCCM sp2 and I have a question about vPro. Does it gets its ip address from dhcp using the MAC just like the OS would? Can someone explain how does work vPro IP lifecycle versus the running OS's IP setting.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bruno_Domignues
Employee

Hi,

Yes, vPro will get the IP from DHCP as OS. You have two TCP/IP stacks: ME and OS, however you will never have both getting IP at same time, When OS is up and running, OS takes control of NIC, while in OOB, ME takes the control. From DHCP perspective, is the same MAC presented in order to both get the same IP address.

Best Regards!

--Bruno Domingues

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Bruno_Domignues
Employee

Hi,

Yes, vPro will get the IP from DHCP as OS. You have two TCP/IP stacks: ME and OS, however you will never have both getting IP at same time, When OS is up and running, OS takes control of NIC, while in OOB, ME takes the control. From DHCP perspective, is the same MAC presented in order to both get the same IP address.

Best Regards!

--Bruno Domingues

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your answer.

After provisionning the vpro, does SCCM configure a hostname in vpro? Meaning, when vPro gets an IP address, what hostname does it provides to DHCP?

Richard

0 Kudos
Bruno_Domignues
Employee

Richard,

SCCM will use the same name as configured in the host in order to avoid problems with DNS and make a consistent approach to find and manage the machine.

Best Regards!

--Bruno Domingues

0 Kudos