Items with no label
3335 Discussions

I am trying to connect a Realsense D415 camera to the USB type C (USB 3.1) port on my windows laptop.

AFiel1
Beginner

I am using a 2 m Type C to Type C connector. I am able to acquire depth (and RGB) frames using the realsense viewer only at reduced resolution of 640 x 480, the camera is showing up as a USB 2.0 device. The camera works fine when cnnected to the USB 3.1 type A port.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alexandra_C_Intel
Hi AFiel1, Thank you for your interest in the Intel RealSense D415 camera. Please try the following: 1. Unplug the camera and plug it back in quickly. 2. Plug in the camera to other PCs with USB 3 ports and plug it back into the original PC. 3. Ensure the entries for RGB and Depth show up in Device Manager -> Imaging Devices and Device Manager -> Cameras. Let me know if that solved your issue. Regards, Alexandra
0 Kudos
AFiel1
Beginner

Hi Alexandra,

Unfortunately not. The camera is recognised in the device manager when connected to the USB-C port on the laptop but only as a USB 2.1 device. When connected usng the supplied short 1m USB C - USB A cable it is recgnised as a USB3.1 device. May be a problem with the 2m cable USB type C cable?

Andrew

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Using your own choice of cable with RealSense can be a lottery unfortunately, especially with Type C cables (which can have quality issues that degrade performance or stop the camera from working).

My personal recommendation of third-party cables proven to work with the RealSense 400 Series cameras is Newnex, who can supply industrial-grade USB equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLQgR1jT04M&t=102s

0 Kudos
Alexandra_C_Intel
Hi AFiel1, It is strongly recommended to use the cable that came with the camera. A longer cable will most certainly not work due to the huge volume of camera data that is passed through the cable. You can also check this thread for more information about using the RealSense D435 cameras with other cables: https://communities.intel.com/thread/122033 Regards, Alexandra
0 Kudos