OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

What is "Graphics Video Max Memory" and its impact on OpenCL?

allanmac1
Beginner

I noticed today's announced desktop and server Broadwell CPU's have very different "Graphics Video Max Memory" attributes.

Can someone from Intel explain how to interpret the "Graphics Video Max Memory" attribute and whether it impacts the HD Graphics OpenCL environment?  

Is this just a limit for rendering surfaces addressable by QuickSync and the IGP?

Here's the comparison on ARK:

gfx_max_mem.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Allan,

Things are clearer now: there is a bug in the documentation on ARK, which we are working to correct.

These are not HW limits—ARK team seems to have done a pick-and-choose from Windows Driver PRD without stating the limits’ contexts. For example, 1.7GB is Win7 driver’s limit—We support more on Win8/8.1. But all these numbers are N/A for Win10 (and other OS’s like OS X, Linux, etc), where the max could be as high as the HW limit of 256TB (248).

Documentation will be fixed as follows:

Graphics Video Max Memory à Graphics Memory Addressability

1.7GB/16GB à 256 TB†

† Subject to OS and graphics driver limitations.

0 Kudos
allanmac1
Beginner

Excellent, that's good news.

0 Kudos
Carlos_C_5
Beginner

Hi Intel Technician Team

Will the same as above is applicable to the new Intel Mobile Xeon chips?

These comments (shown below) as per your response to the other user on the Thu, 06/04/2015 - 11:58  are also applicable to these news chips?

"These are not HW limits—ARK team seems to have done a pick-and-choose from Windows Driver PRD without stating the limits’ contexts. For example, 1.7GB is Win7 driver’s limit—We support more on Win8/8.1. But all these numbers are N/A for Win10 (and other OS’s like OS X, Linux, etc), where the max could be as high as the HW limit of 256TB (248)."

Intel GVMM_0.PNG

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Carlos, here are some details:

Correct numbers for Windows 10 are here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000020962.html

Windows 8 the restrictions are more muddier like:

Available GFX memory (not OpenCL MAX_MEM Per buffer) = min (RAM/2, ~3900MB) à client based platforms etc.

Server based SKUs/Oss its different equation:

Available GFX memory (not OpenCL MAX_MEM Per buffer) = min (RAM/2, ~16GB)

See this page for windows 8.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005539.html

And this page for windows 7:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005472.html

0 Kudos
Vishal_R_
Beginner

I just bought new processor i5-4460 .Specification says that it's graphics video max memory is 2GB, does that mean I can't use 4GB Graphics card , if I will use it will use only 2GB of 4GB?

intel_0.jpg

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Vishal,

Here is the definition of Graphics Video Max Memory:

The maximum amount of memory accessible to processor graphics. Processor graphics operates on the same physical memory as the CPU (subject to OS, driver, and other system limitations).

This is the portion of your DRAM accessible by Intel Processor Graphics. Does not affect discrete graphics cards.

0 Kudos