OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

clGetPlatformIDs crashes if integrated graphic card disabled

Dutchak__Ihor
Beginner
I have an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU with Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 and my main graphic card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. OS: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] All latest drivers installed from Windows Update. Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 driver: Vendor: Intel Corporation Date: 28.02.2018 Version: 23.20.16.4973 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB driver: Vendor: NVIDIA Date: 27.10.2017 Version: 23.21.13.8813 I have manually disabled my Intel graphic card in Device Manager (my monitor is connected to GTX1060), and when I did that, clGetPlatformIDs started crashing, when trying to retrieve a number of platforms. Dump copy for history/search index: > igdrclneo32.dll!044a6204() Unknown [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for igdrclneo32.dll] igdrclneo32.dll!0449394b() Unknown igdrclneo32.dll!044dc726() Unknown igdrclneo32.dll!04494471() Unknown igdrclneo32.dll!0449ad9f() Unknown [External Code] OpenCL.dll!5bd910c2() Unknown OpenCL.dll!5bd960d0() Unknown [External Code] OpenCL.dll!5bd96184() Unknown OpenCL.dll!5bd9527a() Unknown IntelOpenCLTest.exe!main() Line 13 C++ IntelOpenCLTest.zip sample app attached (the exact version on which dump was made). IntelOpenCLTest.dmp_.zip - full crash dump attached as well. NOTE: tested on other systems and it is not everywhere gets reproduced. On other system (not sure what is the Windows/drivers version) it crashes with Integrated graphic disabled only if running with SYSTEM user (e.g. started as Windows Service). NOTE2: did the same test with disabling my GTX1060 and having monitor connected to Intel Integrated Graphic card - no issues or crashes.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dutchak__Ihor
Beginner

NOTE3: if I completely disable integrated graphic card in BIOS (so no Intel HD Graphics 530 seen in the Device Managed), and device driver is removed - no issues seen.

0 Kudos
Oleg_O_
Beginner

ANy update on that. I have the same issue.

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Hello IhorD,

Thanks for sharing your sighting.

​1.

Do you observe clGetPlatformIDs(...) functioning if the Intel graphics device is disabled in the bios but the Intel Graphics driver stays installed?

If we're in a case where we can assume all devices are enabled, let's backup and look at the issue at a higher level. If a developer goal is to choose a specific OpenCL device for a specific job,  a developer should consider the clGetPlatformInfo(...) facility. The cl_platform_info bitflag has a few different options that should allow a developer to target execution for a specific device with discretion. I'll suggest a healthy program should allow for discernment amongst devices as opposed to picking the first device. The picking first device practice is common in many hello world style programs. Developers should strongly consider using the name, extensions, vendor interrogation capabilities provided by clGetPlatformInfo(...) in order to execute programs consistently. 

Reference:

https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenCL/sdk/1.2/docs/man/xhtml/clGetPlatformInfo.html

Graphics Driver comments:

• Version 23.20.16.4973 is called out in use on the system under test.
  • It may be worth trying an updated Intel Graphics driver. Intel Graphics driver packages for Windows have been seeing updates on relatively frequent regular cadences this year.
  • The driver packages contain OpenCL implementations and are available on downloadcenter.intel.com. Note: OEM vendors may not support drivers that haven't been obtained directly from the OEM vendor. Make sure you check with your vendor before attempting to use an alternate driver package. 
  • If you try an updated driver please share what's observed in this thread.

Thanks,

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Some additional comments:

• Also, can you provide BIOS version and system vendor model number info if you have it? It could prove helpful. If theres no vendor don't worry about it.
    • For BIOS/firmware updates the same guidance given for graphics drivers suggested earlier applies. It could be worth exploring an update for the BIOS.
  • That version of Windows isn't the latest. It could be a good idea to update to a newer version of Windows. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

Thanks,

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
Dutchak__Ihor
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Thanks for response.

1. clGetPlatformIDs still crashes, if Intel graphics device is disabled in the bios but the Intel Graphics driver stays installed. I have to remove driver (uninstall hidden device from Device Manager) to make it work.

2. Of course. Even better - I run a series of small kernels on each device to choose which works better/faster/etc., before choosing a final one.
I just don't get that far, if I get a crash at the very beginning.

3. Driver version 23.20.16.4973 - is the latest available from Windows Update on my PC.

4. > can you provide BIOS version and system vendor model number info if you have it?

I have AsRock Z170M Extreme4 motherboard with latest stable BIOS installed (P7.40), according to official website: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170M%20Extreme4/#BIOS

Also, if it helps: Intel ME FW Version: 11.8.50.3425

5. > That version of Windows isn't the latest

My company's clients may have a different variety of PCs to run our software. That's why developers and QAs are using different configurations/version of PCs/operating systems, to ensure our product quality and stability.

In this particular case, I'm using Windows 10 LTSB update channel, which is claimed to be "Long-Term Servicing Branch".
Version 10.0.14393 is a latest available version in this channel.
There is a list of latest supported Windows versions 
here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows-10/release-information.

0 Kudos
Dutchak__Ihor
Beginner

I've updated my Intel Graphic driver to latest available on Intel website (as of now): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27892/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10

Driver Date: 20.06.2018
Version: 24.20.100.6194

I can no longer reproduce crash in any of the cases:
- driver installed and enabled (used to be OK - now OK);
- driver installed but disabled (used to crash - now OK);
- driver installed and enabled but device disabled in BIOS (used to crash - now OK).

This pretty much fixes all my issues.

Also, would be perfect if I (and my company's clients) could get latest driver with Windows Update.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

IhorD,

Thanks for the feedback around the issues constraining your goals.

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the Windows Update process but I'll follow up on if there is room to get builds up there more frequently.

The Intel Driver Support Assistant Utility is here it may be applicable to the types of deployments under consideration:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant

Thanks.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
Dutchak__Ihor
Beginner

Good to know. Thanks again!

0 Kudos