Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15423 Discussions

14700K boosting to 1.54v in gaming - is that normal?

Gessler
New Contributor I

The core VIDs on pretty much all the cores (including P & E) on my 14700K often boost up to 1.54v in gaming - though they don't stay there for long and mostly stay at around 1.44v. Idle (on desktop) VID is around 0.7v - all values as reported by HWiNFO64. CPU temps stay at around 55 to 60C in the game in question (Battlefield 2042) with a 360mm AIO cooler.

I'm on Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WiFi II with BIOS 1301 at Intel Default Settings.

Is that VID normal/acceptable?

PS. It only boosts to about 1.2-1.3v in CPU stress tests like Cinebench or OCCT. Maybe because it's got less thermal headroom in those tests compared to gaming?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Gessler
New Contributor I

Some additional information:

Vcore (voltage actually delivered by motherboard as opposed to VID which is voltage requested by CPU) was at a peak of 1.492v during those same scenarios (gaming), but lower (peak of 1.456) in Cinebench R23.

Note that these are all the peak values ('maximum' as reported by HWiNFO) and the voltages don't stay at those values for very long, maybe a second or so tops before dropping to something lower.

Can anyone tell me if this is expected behavior for a 14700K running at Intel Default Settings? And if not what can I do to fix it?

0 Kudos