Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14874 Discussions

14900k crashing during/loading games

Zmeissner
Beginner
Hi,
I am having issues playing games on my 14900k. Here is a full spec of my pc.

Msi z790 tomahawk WiFi
Gskill 2x16gb ddr5 6000
Lian li 360 aio
Seasonic 1300 gold psu
Evga 3080ti
1tb wd nvme
2tb Samsung ssd

I recently upgraded from a 10850k which was an amazing cpu with ddr4 ram. Never had an issue in any game crashing beside the occasional games that have issues with crashes.

After installing this cpu and new ddr5 I been fighting to find something to keep me from crashing. Seems like more graphic intensive games are why it’s crashing. But I don’t understand how I pay extra for better parts so I can play these games on higher settings and I get crashes.

Here are the things that I have tried..

Updateing all drivers
I took out 2 ram stick(had 4) it’s working a lot better after that but still crashes.
Turned xmp off on ram( ram is running at 4000 as of now)
Iv tried upgrading to windows 11 to see if I can get better compatibility with ddr5.
I’m just now trying intel extreme tunning but I have read this in not the fix I want to do. Turned it down from x57 to x55. ( I need to test this more haven’t tried it to much) seems like I get 100c in games but I have heard that’s normal. I could try new thermal past and reseating the aio I just don’t know if there’s anything else I can do. Really upsetting to but top of the line and have so many issues.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, Zmeissner.

Thank you for posting in our Intel communities.

I appreciated you sharing the full specifications of your system. However, I would like to go one step further and confirm details such as versions of your graphics drivers and OS build#. The SSU can collect that info that can be helpful to me. Also, I would like to know what specific game that you are playing. If possible, you can send us a screen recording that shows the issue.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day ahead!

Best Regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Zmeissner
Beginner
Which download do I do for the SSU Iv never used this before so not sure exactly what I’m doing. The cpu is x64 bit cpu with windows 11. Also can’t figure out how to add a picture to this.
0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Zmeissner.

Thanks for your response. The Intel® System Support Utility scans for system and device information to assist with customer support troubleshooting. You can view the information, save it to a file, or send it to customer support through the web. Please refer to this link: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html) In line with adding a picture on this thread you may click the insert photos / insert videos, just drag and drop the picture and the screen recording that shows the issue. 

However, I kindly share with you these solutions to help fix the issue:

1. Solution A:
    1. In BIOS, select "OC", select "CPU Core Voltage Mode", select "Offset Mode", select "+(By PWM)", and adjust the voltage until the system is stable, we recommend not to exceed 0.025V for a single increase. If the issue persists, you may proceed with the solution B.
  2. Solution B:
    1. In BIOS, select "OC", select "DigitALL Power", change "CPU Loadline Calibration Control", and recommend starting from "Mode 7" to a lower value until the system is stable.

After implementing these solutions, please run the Intel XTU test again, and if the AVX2 test can pass, run games and see if the issue happens again.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
Zmeissner
Beginner

Here is my SSU report waiting to hear back from you. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Zmeissner.

Thank you for sending the SSU report. I would like to know if you tried the solutions that we provided previously. Kindly try to perform Solution A and Solution B, and after implementing these solutions, please run the Intel XTU test again, if the AVX2 test can pass, please run the games and observe if the issue happens again. This will help us identify the root cause of the problem and find the best solution to fix the crashing issue with the 14900k processor. 

Moreover, if possible, you may use this link: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000028063/processors/intel-core-processors.html), if you still have not tried some troubleshooting such as trying to load the default BIOS setting in your system, or update the BIOS and trying the 14900k processor to another motherboard if possible to examine the CPU if the crashing issue is persisted.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
Zmeissner
Beginner
I had time to try solution A. I set it to offset +by(PWM) then changed from 0.992V went up 0.025v to 1.017V and it crashed in bios so didn’t know what to do from there didn’t want to mess anything else. Should I just try solution B tonight?
0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Zmeissner.

Thanks for your confirmation. Yes, since the issue persisted, you may proceed with solution B. Select the "DigitALL Power", in bios change the "CPU Loadline Calibration Control", and start from "Mode 7" to a lower value until the system is stable. After you tried this solution, please run the Intel XTU test again, and if the AVX2 test can pass, run games and see if the issue happens again.

Kindly let me know if the issue persists so we can try troubleshooting steps here: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000028063/processors/intel-core-processors.html) If you still have not tried some troubleshooting such as trying to load the default BIOS setting in your system, or update the BIOS and trying the 14900k processor to another motherboard if possible to examine the CPU if the crashing issue is persisted.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
Zmeissner
Beginner
It seems solution B putting it
At mode 7 worked. I have only had time to play 2 games. But I’ll keep you updated if It happens again.
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Zmeissner, 

I'm happy to hear that it worked for you. For now you can keep on monitoring the system and feel free to post here if the crash happens again.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hello Zmeissner, 

I trust you're doing well.

I have not heard back from you we will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos