Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15136 Discussions

CPU i7-13700KF GHz low

alexis_
Novice

hi

i just bought a the CPU i7-13700KF that on amazon i saw was 5.4 GHz but on my pc is 3.6 GHz.

can please someone tell me if the only way is to overclock or i have to activate something ?

thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

5.40GHz is the max turbo frequency:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/230489/intel-core-i7-13700kf-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-40-ghz.html

You will not be running at this speed all the time.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
alexis_
Novice

i saw that i have to activate intel boost...is this what i have to do to have my 5.4 GHz ?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Your motherboard may have a setting to enable or disable turbo boost.

If turbo boost is enabled, your processor will automatically increase speed as needed.

Please read:

What is Intel Turbo Boost Technology and How Does it Work?

Why Am I Not Getting the Intel Turbo Boost Frequency?

My Intel Core Processor Does Not Reach the Maximum Turbo Boost Frequency

Frequently Asked Questions for Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
alexis_
Novice

ok thanks so much to all of u...now i will try

have a nice day wherever u are hahah

0 Kudos
alexis_
Novice

i have now 2 questions...

1. the boost is enabled on auto...so now the cpu could go from 3.6 (standard) to 5.4 GHz ?

2. i discovered that i can change the phisical and logic ratio in the bios...i have a i7-13700kf so max overclock is 5.4 GHz...if one day i decide to change frequency i should set a 54 multiplier to get 5400 MHz. but what happens if for example i set 100000 Mhz ?

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @alexis_

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

We understand you still have questions regarding the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology and the Intel® XTU, we will be more than happy to provide you with the answers.

Please keep in mind that maximum frequency is automatic and dependent on working conditions. So, it will depend on the tasks or processes you run, if the workload demand is high and there are no physical constraints, then the processor may operate at or close to the Turbo frequency.

Regarding the Intel XTU, it’s best to increase these multipliers progressively by small steps, reboot, and then check for stability, rather than changing any settings dramatically.

The same applies with the “Processor Cache Ratio”. This adjusts the frequency of the part of the CPU that connects the cores to the processor cache. Setting the Cache Ratio at a lower frequency than the Core Ratio can result in lower performance.

You can have more information here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/overclocking-xtu-guide.html

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
alexis_
Novice
I understand...in facts in these days I saw the CPU working with a normal frequency and sometimes, like downloading a game, going to 5000 and more Hz....so now I'm ok. Thanks a lot
Have a nice day
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello alexis_

Thank you for letting us know.

We're glad to know the information helped. Hopefully, it will help other community members. Since the thread is now solved, we will close it. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.    

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos