Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Extreme Tuning Utility Start menu location change?

KLepp
Beginner

So ive done this with EVERY program ive installed bar none.

This one is giving me trouble.

I use classic shell. I like to keep my start menu organized and it allows me to do so without going into programdata/microsoft/startmenu etc.

When intels extreme tuning utility starts it doesnt let you choose the install location or shortcut folder. It makes its own folder and its own "shortcut"

Problem is, the shortcut doesnt behave as such. I moved it, and when I went to open it, the program began trying to reinstall itself again.

How can I remove the intel folder and xtu shortcut created in my start menu, and place the xtu shortcut somewhere else without worrying about the program perceiving itself as having been uninstalled? o.O
0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello klepp0906,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I understand that you are having some issues with the Intel® XTU shortcut created in your Start Menu. I would like to help you.

I installed Classic Shell 4.3.1 and Intel® XTU in one our systems, but I did not get the same issue. Could you please attach pictures/video of the folder and shortcut created in your Start Menu and the message you receive when trying to launch the tool?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
KLepp
Beginner

Hi, I think you must be misunderstanding.

the issue isn't trying to launch it from the shortcut, it's trying to launch it from the shortcut after having moved the shortcut.

I put all similar tools in their own folder to keep it organized. Intels shortcut doesn't function like a normal shortcut.

It wont allow me to move it and relaunch. If I try to relaunch from the moved "shortcut" it tries to reinstall the program again.

Hope this is more clear.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello klepp0906,

Thank you for your response.

I was able to reproduce the issue and pin the XTU launcher to Start Menu to launch the application from this location. You can follow these steps to check if it works for you.

1.Locate the Intel®Extreme Tuning Utility folder in your PC (See attachment)

2.Right-click on the XTULauncher

3.Select Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell)

4.Move and relaunch the tool.

Keep in mind that you are using an application to organize your Start Menu, so if it does not allow you to remove this tool as desired, you can contact the application developer to get further assistance as we do not control what Classic Shell does.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
KLepp
Beginner

Ok, assuming I understand you correctly, that is the one thing I did not do.

i assumed I could move the pre created "shortcut" and when it didn't function that way, I posted here.

Looking at your post, im assuming (before I reinstall..) that I can delete the pre created shortcut from the start menu, and create one of my own from the exe that I can place wherever I'd like?

0 Kudos
KLepp
Beginner

you were absolutely correct. Mission accomplished. Thank you very much

0 Kudos