Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Failed CPUFreq test and wrong base speed in Windows Task Manager

luisin2
Beginner

I'm trying to determine if there's an issue with my CPU, whether the laptop manufacturer throttled the base speed, or if there's something else going on.

I have a Dell Vostro 5502 running Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042. I've been having a few other problems with this laptop since I bought it two months ago which has led to a hard drive replacement and a clean installation of Windows via the Windows Media Creation Tool. 

As I was surveying the system after the OS reinstall, I noticed that task manager lists my CPU's base speed as 1.69 GHz, but I believe my processor's correct base speed is 2.80 GHz. See attached image.

The only thing I found in Microsoft's documentation regarding this discrepancy involves computers with Hyper-v mode enabled which I don't believe to be the case here. 

I downloaded and ran the IPDT and the CPU frequency test fails every time. Attached are the full test results and the frequency check results.  The test is expecting 2.80 but is measuring 1.68855.  I also ran Dell's SupportAssist CPU Test, but it only provides "PASSED" as the results.

All drivers and BIOS are up to date.  Interestingly, System Information lists the processor as follows: "11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80 GHZ, 1690 MHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)" and in the registry, ~MHz's DWORD value is 0x0000069a (1690).  I suspect Dell set the clock speed at 1.69GHz for some reason, but it would be disappointing if that's what it needs to be at to avoid damaging the processor.

Thank you all for your input.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
luisin2
Beginner

Replying to add that my only available power management mode is the Balanced Plan which lacks the advanced power settings that previously allowed for manually setting the processor power minimum and maximum, but using Microsoft's new slider in battery management I set it all the way to best performance for both AC/battery power.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello luisin2,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, can you please provide the below details?:

• Just to confirm, were you able to see the proper base frequency of the processor before the Windows reinstallation?
  • The Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 Processor has the Configurable TDP-down Frequency Technology at 1.20GHz so OEMs are allowed to configure the TDP-down Frequency in the processor by lowering TDP and the processor frequency to fixed points, so we need to confirm, are you able to see a different frequency if you are running high demanding tasks or is the same frequency when the laptop is in idle state?
  • By any chance, do you know if Turbo Boost is enabled in the BIOS? (For instructions to check this or enable it, please contact the system manufacturer)

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
luisin2
Beginner
  • I don't remember whether the base frequency listed in task manager was the same or different prior to the Windows reinstallation. I just now noticed it.
  • Yes, the actual speed does go above 1.69 GHz and it does increase when running high demand tasks. However, the "Base speed" listed in task manager remains the same.
  • Yes, it is enabled.
0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello luisin2,

Thank you for your response.

For highly-customized systems as laptops, Intel just provides the CPU in stock settings, and we do not have control over any customization that the equipment manufacturer has performed, so we cannot confirm if the Original Manufacturer will consider this as normal behavior or expected result.

However, since your system fails the IPDT test, chances are that the processor may be failing and even though we cannot provide a diagnostic we want to provide you with some recommendations:

• Verify BIOS configurations and the P States in BIOS.
  • Verify any sign of overheating, the frequency may be limited if your system is producing more heat than expected, the issue may be with the thermal paste, case cooling, etc. We do not recommend to open or remove the case of your Laptop since this could void the warranty with the manufacturer.
  • Make sure you are using default settings.
  • Ask the manufacturer for a tool that helps you to monitor temperatures and frequency.

In this case, as we mentioned, we can only provide recommendations, please contact the manufacturer for further assistance in case the system starts crashing or failing so they can assist you with troubleshooting steps for your specific systems or may provide warranty options.

I will proceed to close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos