Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

For what duration is a processor supported by driver/firmware/security updates

JWise8
Beginner

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an Intel processor.

For how many years would it be supported by new driver, firmware, security updates?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello JWise8

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We as a community do not have visibility on plans regarding how long a processor will be supported and be provided with updates, drivers and firmware, as well we do not comment on unreleased products or information not publicly available. Intel® will be providing relevant changes on product status like "Product Discontinuance Support, Last Product Discontinuance Order Date, etc." at the proper time through the Product Change Notifications (PCN), as well through other official channels of support: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/, https://newsroom.intel.com/, etc.

Also, product division and target market may have an impact on future decisions that can be taken regarding support options.

For more information, please refer to Product Change Notifications for Intel® Products.

Kindly provide the processor model you would like to buy so we may assist you to check if there is information available regarding public discontinuance status.

It is worth mentioning that updates and firmware also might depend on Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) support options (laptops, motherboards), etc., since some updates and firmware might be provided (only) directly to them, so they can use their official channels of support to provide those updates/firmware to their customers.

If you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JWise8
Beginner

The processor I had in mind is the Core i5-9400F, intended for a simple but stable PC to be used for something over 10 years, as we did with the current Pentium E5400. Only reason for changing that one is because Windows 10 doesn't go together with other parts of that PC and windows 7 doesn't get security updates anymore.

Now while looking around for a suitable PC and more and more software being put into the parts of our PCs I'm curious what the support lifetime is compared to other processor producers.

0 Kudos
saudr
Beginner

nyone have any info when the Lancool II Mesh case might realistically launch? I almost committed to buying it several times this week because I'm impatient and I really want to build in one. The last scoop I found was on Anandtech from CES coverage in January and they stated the mesh version would be released in April, however this was long before the Coronavirus wreaked havoc on production lines. Does anyone have any news on this?

https://tutuapp.uno/ , https://9apps.ooo/ , https://showbox.kim/

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

And,, this is related to this thread how?

Doc

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello saudr

It is worth mentioning that we do not handle information regarding product releases about third-party manufacturers, in this case, we recommend addressing this inquiry directly to the support team of this PC case manufacturer.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello JWise8

Thank you for your response.

The Intel® Core™ i5-9400F Processor is currently active and fully supported and there is no information available at this moment about discontinuing support for it.

Since this is a 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processor recently launched to the market, we cannot affirm a time of processor life spend since they are several factors to take into account. In this case, what we can recommend is to keep checking the PCN information to see Intel updates.

Should you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello JWise8

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you have additional inquiries. Should you need further assistance, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
JWise8
Beginner

Thank you for your answers so far.

I don't expect to get more detailed answers here in the community.

This is it for now. When I get more infomation via other channels, I could update this post with the information so that it is available for other users that are interested.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello JWise8

Thank you for your response.

We were glad to assist you with this inquiry and since there are no more inquiries at this moment, we will proceed to close it for now. Feel free to contact us back in case you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos