Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14894 Discussions

High CPU temp

_Shadow_
Beginner

I have a laptop with i5-12450H and RTX 4050 (45W). My idle CPU temperature ranges from 45-50C which is nearly equal to my GPU temps. But when I play games like COD Warzone and Hitman 3 (both at high settings), my CPU touches temperatures as high as 90-95C while my GPU does not go over 75C. I just wanted to know if such high CPU temps are safe and if they will kill my CPU very early or not.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello _Shadow_

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. We would be more than glad to help you.

Yes, those temperatures are considered safe, especially if you are using a tool that puts a heavy workload on the CPU. The T-junction of the Intel® Core™ i5-12450H processor is 100°C. Any temperature results lower or equal to that value are considered expected for this unit.

In order to rule out a possible hardware issue with the Intel processor, run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. It does an overall test on the unit, and if it passes the test, it means it is working properly.

It may be helpful to reach out to the motherboard manufacturer to inquire about any BIOS options that could potentially lower the temperature.

Best regards

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello _Shadow_

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. We would be more than glad to help you.

Yes, those temperatures are considered safe, especially if you are using a tool that puts a heavy workload on the CPU. The T-junction of the Intel® Core™ i5-12450H processor is 100°C. Any temperature results lower or equal to that value are considered expected for this unit.

In order to rule out a possible hardware issue with the Intel processor, run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. It does an overall test on the unit, and if it passes the test, it means it is working properly.

It may be helpful to reach out to the motherboard manufacturer to inquire about any BIOS options that could potentially lower the temperature.

Best regards

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

masa10
Beginner

Hi I have got same CPU and GPU and same temps, but when I start some game for example rainbow six seige for first 30 secounds it goes for 90 degrees and like 50 wats and past that 30 secounds CPU drops to 50-60 degrees and 10-20 wats and notebook starts to lag from 170 fps to 40. I tested everything and I dont know what to do. Thanks for reply.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello _Shadow_,

We hope you are doing fine.

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos