Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

How many graphics cards would I need for an Intel core 2 duo windows 10 pro computer?

MLeBr2
Beginner

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

More information needed. What is the model number of the processor? What is the model number of the motherboard/laptop?

Are you a desktop or laptop?

Doc

0 Kudos
MLeBr2
Beginner

I'm a desktop. That's the only question I can answer. I don't know much about Windows so I don't know how to figure out what a processor number or a motherboard number is. How do I find that?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Who made your desktop? It has to have a model number.

What operating system are you currently using?

Download, run, and attach the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Doc

0 Kudos
MLeBr2
Beginner

Hp Compaq 6000 Pro SFF PC. This is what I was able to find. I use Windows 10 64-bit.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

None of the hardware on your PC is supported on windows 10. You have a Q43 Express Chipset which means you are using the Microsoft generic driver.

Ok, you want a graphics card. With hardware this old, compatibility is going to be the issue. And, because you have a sff (small form factor) pc, you cannot use full-height graphics cards, even if you do have a slot available.

My recommendation: Backup your data, and take this PC to a recycle facility. Then, purchase yourself a new(er) machine that is supported on Windows 10.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Also, if you do decide to keep this relic, here is information on it:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01865797

You will notice in the "Graphics" section some graphics cards from way back then that you could use:

• ATI Radeon HD 4650 (1GB DH) PCIe x16 Graphics Card
  • ATI Radeon HD 4550 Dual Head PCIe x16 Graphics Card
  • NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 PCIe x1 Graphics Card
  • NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 (256MB DH) PCIe x16 Graphics Card
  • NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 (256MB DH) PCIe x16 Graphics Card

Doc

0 Kudos