Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

I7 6700K stock power consumption

Whaka
Beginner

Hello,

simple question, but hard to find an answer, so better ask here directly.

is this normal for a 6700k at stock settings, to draw 120/130W ? (consumption reported via HWInfo64, XTU, OCCT, not at the wall socket)  because power throttling occur after few seconds and drop down to 95W limit.

i run various tests, prime95 small FFT's, intel XTU stress tests, occt stress tests, realbench. and all of these tests push this cpu far from the 95W turbo boost power, and 118,750W turbo boost short power (reported by XTU). as i said, at stock settings. no overclock or voltages tweak.

so, it underclock, depending of the load, it can downclock at 3,5 or even 3 GHz. this don't sound really normal to me. but i need confirmation.

and if it's not normal, can a kind of "failling" cpu draw more power than needed ?

this is a second hand cpu, so i don't know anything of his previous life.

thanks.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Whaka, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your inquiry, just to let you know the TDP on the Intel® Core™ i7-6700K is 91 W when you are using the minimal configuration, as you can confirm in the following link:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/88195/intel-core-i7-6700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications, so we always recommend to use the Intel® Processor with the default values.

Where are you connecting the computer that is working with the Intel® Processor, since is not at the wall socket?

Are you sure the power supply is working properly, what is the wattage of it?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about your system:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Also, could you please provide a screenshot of when you are running the Intel® XTU so we can check the temperature and TDP detected?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Whaka
Beginner

Hello, thanks for the answer.

"Where are you connecting the computer that is working with the Intel® Processor, since is not at the wall socket?"

it is, i mentionned the power consumption reported by various software for the cpu itself, not the entire system. and as i said too, the cpu is running at stock settings, no overclock or voltage modifications. temperatures are more than correct, it's not thermal throttling.

the psu is in good conditions too, and is rated for 500W. this is an msi machine, a nightblade x2 055EU.

i join you the SSU report, a log from XTU running a 5 min stress test, and some screenshots with xtu and running prime95 small FFT's stress test. screenshots are numbered in order : 01 when starting the test,  02 during the test, and 03 when power throttling occur..

thanks again.

0 Kudos
Whaka
Beginner

i join another screenshot, but this this time, i set XTU to unlimited for the turbo boost options, and allowed 110A for IccMax instead of 100 by default, and run prime95 small FFT's stress test.

and i show the Vcore reported by HWinfo64 : 1,22V. this sounds normal to me.

but look at the TDP in XTU,  it draw a constant 133W... at stock speed, and a voltage automatically set by the motherboard. and by the way, this machine has no options in uefi given to the user for playing with voltages.

133W is crazy from my point of view, considering it should not really go for longtime over 95W.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Whaka, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Whaka
Beginner
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Whaka, You are very welcome, I just received an update on this matter.

In regard to this case, it is actually normal for the processor to show higher power consumption from the base of TDP rating showing in our Intel® web site: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/88195/intel-core-i7-6700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

Power Consumption:

•  It is measured at the base frequency, since the Intel® Processor is actually under stress test, the CPU hence that is why power consumption can be higher.
  •  Keep in mind that the TDP is not one on one match of power consumption, it is related but not one on one, that is why 133Watts of power can be considered normal from a 'base' TDP of 91W.
  • Temperature is also normal, given sufficient head-room for more aggressive Turbo Boost performance

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Whaka
Beginner

hello, thanks.

yes, i know TDP is not an exact science, and may go over what's specified. i guess that's why default settings allow 118W for 16 sec. but as you can see, all happen at base clock it can't even keep for longtime. but except if i really misunderstood, base clock is supposed to be a guaranteed speed, even under heavy stress. and as far i understanded,  factors that could make it drop under the base clock, is thermal throttling or VRM throttling. and it's clearly not the issue here.

it's not only under stress test, with asus realbench for exemple, this happen too when it does x264 encoding. this can't be considered as stress. this happen too with cinebench rendering benchmark, can't be considered as stress too.

so, is the 6700k underrated at base settings ? or can a cpu become more power hungry, let's say, due to a borderline overvoltage, who didn't kill it, but made some transistors become more leaky ?

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Whaka, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those aspects.

I will double-check on this information, as soon as I get a confirmation of those details, I will post all the updates on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Whaka
Beginner
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Whaka, I just received an update on this matter.

Due to normal manufacturing variations, the exact thermal characteristics of each individual processor are unique. Within the specified parameters of the part, some processors may operate at a slightly higher or lower voltage, some may dissipate slightly higher or lower power and some may draw slightly higher or lower current, so your system seems to be working fine. 

• Just to confirm, while using the computer do you get Windows* crashes, BSOD, or any other issue?
  • When you see the TDP drawing a thermally for a significant period, are you running a software/program? If yes could you please provide a video?
  • To make sure the Intel® Processor is working properly, we can always run the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if the Processors passed the test it means it is working fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Whaka
Beginner

thanks for the answer. no BSOD or any instabilities, he work normally.

"When you see the TDP drawing a thermally for a significant period, are you running a software/program? If yes could you please provide a video?"

what do you mean by "drawing a thermally'' ? sorry, english is not my native language. sometimes i don't get things. but sure, if a video of what happen could help, i'll do.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Whaka, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those details.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear there are no BSOD or any instabilities with the Intel® Processor.

In regard to your question, "drawing a thermally'' means when the TDP increases or decreases for a certain period, we just wanted to confirm if that happens while running an application and if that is the case, to provide a video where we can see the application running and the TDP increasing and decreasing.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Whaka
Beginner

yes, sure i'll do a video soon.

thanks.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Whaka, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

Perfect, no problem at all, take your time and once you get the chance please provide the video.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Whaka
Beginner

and here it is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX2AKjazNms

i used XTU as monitor for monitoring power consumption, and hwinfo64 for monitoring Vcore.

i first show with realbench, as it represent real world workload, with video enconding, and heavy multitasking options.

then i show with prime 95 small FFT stress test, first with default settings in XTU, then with unlimited turbo options.

hope this can help.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Whaka, Thank you very much for providing the video.

We will review it and as soon as I get any results, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Whaka, I just received an update on this matter.

Based on the video you sent us, we can see that you are Encoding video, just to let you know, this is a very CPU-intensive operation meaning that the computer can't encode your video fast enough to maintain the settings you have it set to, which will cause the video to freeze after a few seconds, or periodic stuttering, high temperatures, and/or TDP drawing picks

In this case, our recommendation is to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the board to set default settings in the BIOS, disable any overclocking feature or XMP, check the hardware status, no dust, the correct cooling solution, Thermal paste, CPU spot and then test the processor running regular tasks and if the issue appears, like high temperatures, up and down TDP picks. If you see those issues showing in your platform, then consider checking the processor warranty options, the Intel® Processor has 3 years of warranty:

https://us.msi.com/support

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos