Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15135 Discussions

I9 10900k too hot with Intel Turbo Boost

Skuci
Beginner

Good morning,
2 years ago i made my pc build with an ASRock Z590 ITX/TB4 and i had problems with idle temperatures.
It seems that activating Intel Turbo Boost, the CPU runs at an idle temperature of 60 C° doing nothing on Windows, and runs at 90 while doing simple tasks, sometimes i had BSOD.

I have a Noctua nh-l12 ghost s1, the plastic protection on the cooler it's been removed and i changed more times the thermal paste.
Now i limited de core ratio to 3.7GHz to be able to use the PC with an idle temperature of 35 C° and a maximum of 60-65 C° while working in audio production.

I have also a i7-7700 in another build, it runs at 4.7 GHz with ITB but the temperature stays around 60 C° on stress.

What i should do? Before the ASRock, i had a Asus ROG Strix B560-I and i had the same problem.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Skuci,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

We have this link for troubleshooting guide on overheating issue.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005791/processors/intel-core-processors.html

You can try and follow the guide and tell us if you are still having the same issue.

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Skuci,

I hope this message finds you well. 

Were you able to check the previous post?

Please let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Skuci
Beginner

Hi Mike,

yes, i still need assistance.

Today are 2 days trying to figure out what's the problem.

I deactivated Intel turbo boost and all the automatic stuff that drives the CPU to 5.2GHz and above 50 C° in idle.

My build Is currently running at stock fixed 3.7GHz with an idle of around 40 C° without problems, scoring 12040 points on Cinebench v23 in multicore with a max of 75 C°.

With stock settings and ITB activated seems that CPU start throttling when i give 100% max Power to CPU in Windows Energy settings and stops when i put It on 99%, and the CPU runs at max 3.7GHz.

I'm shure that my cooler and the thermal paste are ok, so it's some settings in the BIOS that Is causing the thermal throttling.

How can i achieve like 4.8GHz with a basic overclock? I see lots of people overclocking this CPU without problems.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Skuci,

Thank you for the clarification.

As much as we want to assist you, we cannot provide assistance or guide because overclocking may void the Warranty of the processor. Let me just provide this link and let's hope other forum users can also help you with your inquiry:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000038213/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Thank you and have a great day.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Skuci,

I hope this message finds you well. 

Were you able to check the previous post?

Please let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Skuci,

I hope you are having a good day.

I am sending another follow up to check if you still have clarifications. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Thank you and have a great day. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Nanook
Beginner

As one who previously was running an overclocked i9-10900x I can offer at least a cooling solution that worked for me.  I used a Noctua 15D cooler with 3000 RPM "industrial" fans they sell.  The fans are about $24 a piece, the cooler ran me around $119.  My chip was not electrically stable beyond 4.3Ghz so I never reached the 5.2Ghz you have, but I have since replaced it with an i9-10980xe and although it has 18 cores verse 10, they are electrically stable at 4.9Ghz and at that speed it only produces about half the heat the i9-10900x did, so there are a couple of data points that hopefully will help.

0 Kudos