Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15135 Discussions

Intel 14900KS - Where is 6.2 Ghz?

Lorvader
Novice

Hello Intel,

I have recently acquired a computer with an ASUS Maximus Dark Hero Z790 motherboard and an Intel 14900KS processor, the processor after updating the BIOS of the motherboard according to Intel specifications for this processor does not even reach 6.0 Ghz, and in all the performance tests are far below the previous generation Intel i9 13900K.

Some questions for intel:

Where are the 6.2 Ghz that the specifications of the 14900KS processor show?

What is Intel's solution for this going to be?

Will Intel give me my money back?

Please, we need a solution for this!!!!

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
39 Replies
Lorvader
Novice

Hello Ramyer M,

The plan is configured for high performance. However, I´m attaching the test again with Asus Advanced OC profile, verifying that the energy plan is the one attached in the screenshot.

Thanks again for the help and support.

Regards,

Lorvader

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Lorvader, 

Thank you for sharing this details. I will now proceed in coordinating this with our team and get back to you as soon as possible. 

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Lorvader,

Thank you for patiently waiting, upon coordinating with our team, we want to talk about a few things: 

We want to note that on this thread, a community user mentioned that 6.2 is not a permanent value during workload, which is accurate. This is because it is a turbo-related value, which is also limited by timing.

To better see values obtained by each core, preferably max values, we recommend using HWInfo with 500ms (or smaller) pooling interval. It is possible to change pooling interval in XTU, but to set your expectation, XTU doesn't save max values.

Usually, the 6.2GHz frequency appears at the beginning of a workload. As the workload continues, the frequency tends to stabilize and may decrease from the initial value. However, it is possible to see this frequency during normal Windows operations or even in an idle state due to Windows' task prioritization.

This being said, we recommend setting CPU values in BIOS to performance or extreme based on the Power Delivery Profile for i9 -14900K which will push CPU to a state where it would be easier to achieve higher clock values as the CPU will be getting more power, but still within range.

Let us know if this step worked for you. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Hello  RamyerM_Intel,

First of all, thanks for you support.

I am patient, but I am unable to use my equipment stably and with the frequencies that you print on the processor box and in your advertising.

If I understood correctly, they are proposing that I lower Power Limit 1 (PL1) and Power Limit 2 (PL2) to 253W and that with that I will be able to reach the frequency of 6.2 Ghz.

I will do it, but first let me tell you something: This is a monumental botch. The processor heats up too much in all configurations, I have applied the BIOS correction for ASUS DARK HERO 1402 version published in 2024/07/12, based on the problem they found with the famous algorithm, although as they point out it is not the root of the problem.

The system with the configuration recommended by Intel (Performance or Extreme) and that the motherboard manufacturer has implemented. The system remains unstable, sometimes it restarts without meaning to and without having a workload, this is intolerable.

Look for a solution that is already taking too long.

Thank you so much,

Greetings,

Lorvader

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Lorvader,

I want to let you know that based on extensive analysis of Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors returned to us due to instability issues, we have determined that elevated operating voltage is causing instability issues in some 13th/14th Gen desktop processors. 

For a more detailed explanation you may also visit this post. 

I apologize if it is taking us sometime to troubleshoot this for you. Rest assured that if the issue still exists after following our previous recommendation in adjusting the BIOS settings, we are prepared to help you with the replacement. 

Feel free to let us know of the results. I will be waiting for your reply .

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Lorvader,

I am just checking in on your system. Feel free to let us know if you encounter any issues so we can help you. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Hello RamyerM_Intel,

Thank you very much for the support.

I have lowered the L1 and L2 limits as indicated in your response, now I have 253 W configured in L1 and L2, I attach a screenshot of both the configuration and the results. As you can see, the processor is not even close to 6.2 Ghz, that is, it does not meet specifications.
What solution are they going to give me?

Thanks in advanced,

Regards,

Lorvader

0 Kudos
CoolBook
Novice

@Lorvader 

Your CPU is running hot.

Try undervolting and disable HT.

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Hello CoolBook.

Thanks for your interest.

Your solution is not applicable, the specifications for which I bought it must be met, I am not willing to lose money, if I wanted another cheap CPU I would have bought another series.

Regards,

Lorvader.

0 Kudos
CoolBook
Novice

@Lorvader 

How are you losing money?

Please read the specifications again:

Intel® Thermal Velocity Boost (Intel® TVB) is a feature that opportunistically and automatically increases clock frequency above single-core and multi-core Intel® Turbo Boost Technology frequencies based on how much the processor is operating below its maximum temperature and whether turbo power budget is available. The frequency gain and duration is dependent on the workload, capabilities of the processor and the processor cooling solution.

It is your responsibility to provide sufficient cooling.

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Hello CoolBook,

I am not going to waste my valuable time explaining anything to you, please let the professionals give me support on my case. That said, disabling any functionality of the microprocessor is losing money, as well as lowering the frequencies is also losing money. I bought a processor with 24 HT cores at a maximum frequency of 6.2 Ghz and that is what I want to get, which is why it costs about 900 - 1000 dollars public sale price and price you pay.

In short, I want the processor I bought to meet the specifications for which I bought it.

If you want to know the cooling system and the rest of the components that accompany the i9 14900KS, read the rest of the post.

Regards,

Lorvader

Lorvader
Novice

Hello CoolBook,

Please stop blurring the Post.
The video you send talks about removing the micro case and directly connecting the AIO Pump or the water cooler using techniques that void the warranty.

My processor was recently purchased and I don't have to do any of those techniques that I already know. I simply want it to meet the specifications that Intel prints in its advertising and on the boxes.

Please don't post again.

I wouldn't like to have to be rude to you.

Regards,

Lorvader

0 Kudos
CoolBook
Novice

Dear Lorvader,

I don't understand your reasons for doing this endless trolling, but I suppose that you are disappointed with your computer purchase?

Your CPU runs at 6.2GHz for short bursts of single threaded work.

Or is that screenshot not from your computer?

CoolBook_1-1722370704547.png

That is what the specification means. You cannot expect to run benchmarks at high temperatures and reach top frequencies.

If you aim for higher frequencies, you have to:

A. Undervolt or tune your system.

Or

B. Install better cooling.

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Hello,

That test is with the OC Asus specifications, an issue that Intel has changed by releasing a new BIOS update for manufacturers, since using those frequencies the processor gets too hot and runs the risk of burning out. Additionally, the system would reboot and hang with that configuration.
Please stop saying things if you don't understand what you're talking about.

Let the Intel support people answer me and refrain from posting in this thread again. You have no idea and you want your minute of glory.

Regards,

Lorvader

0 Kudos
CoolBook
Novice

This is not about glory or wanting to help you. Everyone on this forum has tried to give you advice, including Intel.

Just return or sell your computer if you are not happy with it, or accept reality.

Do you think complaining here will result in some kind of financial compensation?

Please handle that privately in that case, and not in a public forum.

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Hello,

Look champion, this is not about any compensation, it is exclusively a problem with something that I have purchased under specifications that are not met. Intel support is giving me different configurations to test the behavior and I am doing what support asks me to do. They have told me that if nothing works they will eventually replace the micro.
So go somewhere else to troll.

You are not welcome here

Bye CoolBook

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello CoolBook and Lorvader, 

While I appreciate your active participation on this thread, I noticed that a misunderstanding has occurred in your conversation. I hope we stay on topic and continue to empower a growing community. 

Additionally, based on the troubleshooting Lorvader have done, we can conclude that this CPU is defective. I will send another email shortly to assist Lorvader with initiating a warranty replacement.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Lorvader
Novice

Hello RamyerM_Intel,

Thank you very much for the support, I just sent you the response email with the requested information. I am waiting for new instructions.

Greetings,

Lorvader

0 Kudos