Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

Intel Core i7 7700 CPU @3.60GHz does not support Windows 11?

i77000W11
Beginner

Hi,

As title says I own Intel Core i7 7700 CPU @3.60GHz but Windows 11 PC Health Check states that it's uncompatile with Windows 11 (whereas I got Intel Core i5 that does)

What's the procedure raising this issue at Intel so Microsoft will allow me the upgrade?

Microsoft support sent me to Intel support ...

Thanks in advance

Guy

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just an added note: Microsoft decided to support only the 7th gen processors that were used in *their* laptops. None of the others were supported.

...S

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Microsoft decided that your processor does not meet their requirements for Windows 11.

Microsoft sending you here serves no purpose, as the support list is theirs:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

There is nothing that can be done here.  Adsditionally, you can continue to run Windows 10 until 2025.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just an added note: Microsoft decided to support only the 7th gen processors that were used in *their* laptops. None of the others were supported.

...S

Beefydog2000
Beginner

Wow! Microsoft is acting like Apple. Forcing extensive hardware upgrades (a.k.a. license purchases) on machines only a few years old (with very specific processors that do not have reported issues) that support TPM2.0 for no engineering reason I can think of.  The Core i7-7700 was being put into new machines in 2020! Ours are early 2019 (chip came out in Q1 2017 and wasn't utilized in the business mainstream until a year later due to the high price tag). They aren't even 5 years old.
Microsoft talks about "sustainability", yet hundreds of thousands of working machines have to go the landfill prematurely? Really?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

There are other items/features besides TPM, the biggest of which is VBS, which the processor needs to support.

You should take your issue to Microsoft and discuss it there.

[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
i77000W11
Beginner

Thanks to all who responded

Microsoft (you may find it useful) has a workaround which is a custom upgrade that it's only drawback is that it doesn't fully migrate your applications and you need to reinstall them, your Microsoft product key remains (no need to find and record), this is the procedure:

Windows 11 custom installation:

Performing a custom installation will delete all apps that you installed on your PC but it will not delete your current files, it will just move them into the C:\Windows.old folder as a backup. Once the Custom Installation if finished, you will be able to copy all files you want back from the C:Windows.old folder.

Select the Create Windows 11 Installation Media

Kindly follow these steps:

1. Please click this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

2. Select the "Download tool now" button below "Create Windows 11 Installation Media" After the download double click on the file to run the tool.

3.On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.

4. On the What do you want to do? page, select ISO and then select Next.

After the download > locate the ISO file > right click mount > open the ISO file > open Sources folder > click on Setup > then update your Windows using the ISO.

====

In order to upgrade your device to Windows 11, my best recommendation is to perform a Windows custom installation where it will install Windows 11. This process will change and override the current system files.

The  advantage of this is that it will not affect any of your personal files, settings and programs.

0 Kudos
Coel
Beginner

I'm having the same issue with my Dell (i7-6700) and tried installing from the ISO but the install wizard wouldn't let me install due to CPU requirements... 

I tried doing a standard install using the setup.exe on the ISO, is there something I'm missing?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"is there something I'm missing?"   Yes, just like the error message says, your processor is simply not supported by W11.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sadly, if you aren't running a supported processor, you will still be in the Unsupported category and, one of these days, MS is going to cut off the Unsupported.

...S

0 Kudos
sixpiece
Beginner

Intel Pentium Processor N3540 2M Cache up to 2.66 GHz Produktspezifikationen

my Laptop came with Windows 8 installed and then I upgrade it to Windows 10 but I don't find this processor on any list whether it's for Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows 8 or Windows 10... It's running on 21H2... I wonder why not upgrade it to Windows 11 so as to keep the support... but I already created a duo boot with Ubuntu and FreeBSD... so I could just keep the windows there for applications that require it... such as charging my bus tickets or whatever.. but a lot of people probably have processors that are not on any list... 

Test Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 11 Convertible - Notebookcheck.com Tests even this link shows it comes preinstalled with Windows 8.1 as I was saying... but it's not on the windows 8.1 hardware compatible list...

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@sixpiece   Start a new thread for yourself.  This thread is more than a year old.

0 Kudos