Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Intel Core i7 vs XMP and RAM frequency

SGola1
Beginner

Dear All,

I have bought Intel Core i7 8086K and have problems with my RAM. I also have RAM memory @3200MHz frequency. Furthermore, I saw at Intel's website that maximum RAM frequency for i7 8086K is 2666MHz. And there is my problem - whenever I enable XMP (so my RAM kit can be @3200MHz) in my BIOS the system fails and the following shows up:

"Your previous overclock setting have failed, Press F1 to enter setup or F2 to load default values and enter setup (...)"

As I result I cannot load Windows and need to reset my PC and if I do not change the status of XMP as "disabled" I cannot load Windows. When I disable XMP and the frequency gets back to 2133MHz everything is fine.

My RAM kit is G.Skill TridentZ 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 [F4-3200C14D-32GTZ] and MB is MSI Z370 Gaming M5.

Do you happen to know the solution to the problem that is said above? Is the processor responsible for some problems?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Best Regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello PanGolan

Thank you for joining the Intel® community.

After looking into the case I see that you have an Intel® Core™ i7-8086K Processor that accosting to the specifications (https://ark.intel.com/products/148263/Intel-Core-i7-8086K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-5_00-GHz?q=8086k https://ark.intel.com/products/148263/Intel-Core-i7-8086K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-5_00-GHz?q=8086k) for memory, it can be used with

DDR4-2666 up to 64 GB. Using the processor out of these specifications with higher speed could conclude on errors or damage to the CPU.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So let's be very clear: Intel specs operation up to DDR4-2666. This is not because attempting to run the memory buses at faster speeds cannot be supported (or necessarily will cause damage); it is simply because Intel does not validate this particular processor at higher settings. Of course, Intel does not say why they have limited it to DDR4-2666, so who knows...

Here is what I will say: Whether a faster speed can be supported is a product of a number of variables - the processor's memory controllers, the quality of the DIMMs being used, the implementation of the memory buses on the motherboard in question (how well it isolates noise, prevents reflections, etc.), the presence of other devices in the vicinity, etc. All of these can contribute to the noise on the bus and, if this noise reaches certain levels, the data is not going to be consistently isolated from the noise. In my many years of experience, the two biggest causes of problems are (a) poor quality DIMMs (and let's just say that, IMHO, you are playing at a lower point on the totem pole) and (b) the quality of the motherboard's bus implementation. Rarely have I seen an issue with the processor's memory controllers -- but, that said, it needs to be understood that you are technically overclocking your processor when you overclock the memory buses using XMP profiles. This can, amongst other things, cause thermal issues and thermal issues can cause failures.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
SGola1
Beginner

Dear N.Scott.Pearson - why do you think the RAM memory kit that I have is "at a lower point of the totem pole"? I am just curious why do you think so and maybe it helps <<do the shopping>> better next time ?

Eventually it turned out that the issue occured because of the version of BIOS. After flashing and updating it everything is fine . now XMP profile and other OC options do not result in the error I mentioned in the first post.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I personally do not think much of GSkill's quality. What more can I say?

...S

0 Kudos
SGola1
Beginner

I suppose you said it based on something and I would like to know what is this "base" .

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Many years of testing boards with various memory brands. I found their products to be of inconsistent quality and stopped using them as a result. People purchase from them because they are often cheaper. Well, you get what you pay for...

...S

0 Kudos