Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Intel Gaussian Mixture Model 1911 (i7-8750h)

Ivagin
New Contributor II

Hello!

Why do we need the "Intel Gaussian Mixture Model - 1911" module and what is it responsible for in the i7-8750H processor or in the HM370 chipset?

Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1911

Driver:

* Intel Gaussian Mixture Model - 1911 (SkylakeSystemGMM.inf)

Снимок экрана 2022-01-09 210221.png

* In the Microsoft update center, I found the Intel GMM Scoring Accelerator driver version 1.2.0.961, but the 2015 driver.

1 Solution
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Ivagin, 

In this case, the co-processor will be for the Intel Gaussian Mixture Model.

As mentioned previously, yes, the Intel Gaussian Mixture Model 1911 is a component of the Intel Neural Network Accelerator, or GNA for short. This is an AI co-processor inside the CPU die.

I hope you fund this information useful.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

View solution in original post

25 Replies
Ivagin
New Contributor II

In the last discussion, you did not provide me with an answer to my question and deliberately closed it leaving it unanswered!
There is no problem with the hardware, and you have not answered for what purpose the "Intel Gaussian Mixture Model - 1911" module is needed in the processor.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Ivagin,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Can you share the previous thread that you opened?

2. Are you working on a project or developing software? If so, can you share more details?

3. Are you having issues or getting errors related to the Intel Gaussian Mixture Model 1911?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

Hello!

1. A link to a past discussion that you closed and left unanswered in the second message.

2. No.

3. There are no problems and errors.

Why do we need the "Intel Gaussian Mixture Model - 1911" module and what is it responsible for in the i7-8750H processor or in the HM370 chipset?

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Ivagin, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Ivagin, 

Based on the research performed, I would like to let you know that the Intel Gaussian Mixture Model 1911 is a component of the Intel Neural Network Accelerator or GNA for short. This is an AI co-processor inside the CPU die.

This is a technology used to process speech recognition without user training sequence. The GNA is designed to unload the processor cores and the system memory with complex speech recognition tasks and improve speech recognition accuracy.

Please let me know if this is the information desired.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

Hello! Thank you for the answer!
Is there really an AI coprocessor in the 8th generation (i7-8750H processor / HM370 chipset) and does it really work?
The device driver was released by you in 2015 and it is already outdated!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Provide a photo of the processor or a cpu-z snapshot of the processor.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

You can see a photo of the i7-8750h processor on the Internet or buy a laptop with such a processor and disassemble it yourself, and I'm not going to disassemble my laptop!

Edited by moderator

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

Here is the requested screenshot.

2022-01-22-232120.png (497×495) (ibb.co)

2022-01-22-232219.png (488×240) (ibb.co)

If you consider yourself Intel technical support, then you should have all the technical documentation on processors and chipsets.

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

AlHill, at your request, I have provided You with a screenshot, but you have not provided an answer to my question!

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

Hello! @DeividA_Intel , will you provide me with the additional information requested?

DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Ivagin, 

It will be a pleasure to help you further. I will review your inquiry about the "AI coprocessor" internally and as soon as I have any details I will let you know.

Regards,   

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Ivagin, 

In this case, the co-processor will be for the Intel Gaussian Mixture Model.

As mentioned previously, yes, the Intel Gaussian Mixture Model 1911 is a component of the Intel Neural Network Accelerator, or GNA for short. This is an AI co-processor inside the CPU die.

I hope you fund this information useful.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Ivagin
New Contributor II

Hello! Thank you for the helpful answer!

The driver (1.2.0.961) for this platform is 2015, although the processor itself (i7-8750h) is 2018.

Why is there no newer driver?

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Ivagin, 

I am glad to know that the information given was helpful. 

In this case, since the webpage with the driver looks from a Microsoft web page I recommend you to check with Microsoft to confirm why they have drivers only from 2015.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

Hello! Microsoft only stores the driver in the repository downloaded by the manufacturer, and you Intel develop the driver and upload it to the Microsoft update center. Here the question is only to the driver developer!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Ivagin, 

I do understand your concern, allow me to confirm the information to make sure that I am providing you with the correct information.

I will post soon with further details.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Ivagin, 

In this case, Intel develops and provides this feature/technology and the laptop/motherboard manufacturers (MSI, Acer, HP, Asus, etc) are in charge to provide the drivers since they have to customize based on their BIOS and device.

If you are interested to get drivers, please refer to your laptop or motherboard manufacturer.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

Hello! As it is interestingly said, but nothing that your drivers are identical to the drivers from OEM manufacturers. By this I mean a bitwise comparison.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Ivagin, 

Thanks for your response. We are the ones that develop this feature and provide the generic driver to them, however, we do not have the knowledge to confirm if the manufacturers customize/change the driver provided since they have to make sure that it will be compatible with the system (BIOS).

My recommendation is to check with them for further information and drivers/firmware.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos