Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Buen
Beginner

Intel XTU won't let me change the Clock speeds anymore.

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a i9-8950HK processor which has been undervolted and held at stock speed with intel XTU up until now. Sadly, due to a BIOS update, intel XTU has reset everything and wont let me change them back. now i am running at 4.2GHZ on all Cores with around 90 degrees idle. I really need to be able to undervolt it again or else i wont be able to properly use my laptop. Anybody got any solutions?

Thanks in Advance,

Sincerely.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Ok, have been provided more information on this.  To mitigate undervolt issues, Intel has disabled undervolt completely.  I know this is not the news you wanted to hear.

You can read up on undervolt issues here:

https://securityboulevard.com/2019/12/plundervolt-a-new-intel-processor-undervolting-vulnerability/

There are several ways eliminating undervolt can be performed, BIOS updates being the primary.

Sorry, I wish I had better news.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

"due to a BIOS update"        Whose bios update?

Buen
Beginner

BIOS update? it just updated the version and then XTU wouldnt let me change the values. I also tried reverting it to the older version but it didnt help

AlHill
Super User

Ok, which motherboard/system do you have?

You said "due to a bios update".   What bios update?  What was the bios before the update, and what is it now?

Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Buen
Beginner

I use the Dell G5 15 5587 and before the Update it was at BIOS version 1.12.2, the new one is 1.14

Here u have the required data from the SSU scan.

Thanks

AlHill
Super User

The Dell update utility is responsible for updating your Dell Bios.  I would contact Dell about rolling back to your previous bios version.  Then, do not let their update tool update the bios once you have the old version restored.

Buen
Beginner

I did do that myself. I went back to the 1.12.2 version but it still wouldn't work. Then i reinstalled my windows again to see if that would work, nothing. And as for Dell Support, i cant get any support for My region... And when i use a VPN to get into the US support, they just see where the Product was Purchased and tell me to go to MY region's support, which isn't even available...

AlHill
Super User

The windows 10 reinstall - was that a clean install, or a in-place install?

Buen
Beginner

it was an in-place install. But i can try to wipe windows and install it with a USB drive if you recommend that.

AlHill
Super User

That would certainly remove any question of XTU rements being left behind. 

Buen
Beginner

i shall give it a try. Thank you very much for your time!

AlHill
Super User

Ok, have been provided more information on this.  To mitigate undervolt issues, Intel has disabled undervolt completely.  I know this is not the news you wanted to hear.

You can read up on undervolt issues here:

https://securityboulevard.com/2019/12/plundervolt-a-new-intel-processor-undervolting-vulnerability/

There are several ways eliminating undervolt can be performed, BIOS updates being the primary.

Sorry, I wish I had better news.

View solution in original post

Buen
Beginner

WOW, didn't see that coming. But i am very thankful for the information you have given me. Thank you very much dear sir and i wish you all the best in the world!