Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15134 Discussions

Is it possible to make i9-13950HX Boost for longer on linux?

ric96
Beginner

Hi, I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad P16 Gen2 with an i9-13950HX. I am currently running Linux 6.5 on it and my main compute workload is to compile yocto and other embedded OS.

The 5.4GHz single core P core boost works fine. But with an all core workload, the P cores hit 3.6Ghz-3.4Ghz and the E cores hit ~3.2Ghz which is fine, but this only lasts less than a minute till P core throttle down to 3Ghz and E Cores throttle down to 2.5Ghz.

This does not seem like thermal throttling as Max temps only reach ~85C and the clocks do not recover when things cool down to around 70C.

The CPU Package power consumption, according to powertop, when the clocks are higher is around 110W and when they are throttled is around 65W.

Is there any way to maintain the higher power target for longer and only throttle due to temps?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @ric96  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will gladly assist you here. 

The clock speed and frequency of the cores will depend on the system and workload. While executing code, Enhanced Intel® SpeedStep Technology and Intel® Speed Shift technology optimize the processor's IA core frequency and voltage based on workload.   

Also, the processors do not run at their maximum frequency all the time. The processor automatically selects the best frequency depending on the workload demand. If workload demand is high and there are no physical constraints, then the processor may operate at or close to the turbo frequency, otherwise, it will control its frequencies. This is also related to your computer limitations, including the OS management decisions. 

Sometimes, multiple instructions are completed in a single clock cycle; in other cases, one instruction might be handled over multiple clock cycles, so there are times they won't need super high frequencies.  

I recommend you to check the following article which explains better how it works: What Is Clock Speed? 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @ric96    

I hope you are doing great. 

As we have not heard back from you, we will proceed to close this thread now. I hope you could see my last post. 

If you need any further assistance with other matters, please feel free to contact us back and submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos