Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14913 Discussions

Is my 13900KF dying?

K1llrzzZ
Beginner

Hi!

So I have had lots of BSODs on my system, like once or twice a day always in Windows, either I was in Chrome or I just left my PC turned on for a couple of hours doing nothing, came back and noticed it has restarted, checked the bluescreenview and there it was. I also had constant crashed in Chrome and other browsers like "status_breakpoint" and "status_access_violation", it has gotten so bad that sometimes I couldn't finish a 2 min YT video without Chrome crashing like 10 times. I read multiple threads about people with i9s having this same issue and the only thing that solved it is having the CPU replaced.

Example 1

Example 2

Then one day, I turned it on, BSOD in 10 min, then restarted, another and I got like 4 until it got to the point that it didn't even start, always BSOD on startup with the same message (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL). I couldn't even repair or reinstall because the install has failed with BSOD as well, I was finally managed to install a copy of Windows on another drive and start up, no drivers, no internet, low resolution but I was able to use a pentdrive to copy the Intels own Diagnostics Tool. I ran it 4 times, and 2 times out of 4 it failed, it passed the other two times. Since I ran Windows Memorgy Diagnosics before and Memtest86 from my BIOS and both passed without issues it was basically confirmed that it's my CPU or so I thought. I took my PC into a friends PC repair shop so he can test stuff individually in different PCs to confirm but to my surprise he said my CPU is fine and actually it's my SSD that died and not even the one that has Windows installed on it. Apperantly it had so many bad sectors that it caused the BSODs every time a file was read from there and eventually it corrupted Windows itself.

He said the only issue with my CPU was that I had a very old BIOS, he updated it to the latest one, saved my stuff from my bad SSD to a new one, formatted my win SSD and reinstalled Windows and gave me back my PC and things seemed fine... almost... Chrome still crashes sometimes but way less then before and I did have 1-2 BSODs but way less then before and with a different error code (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA). It was suggested to me that it might be caused by the files I saved from the old corrupted harddrive as the files themselfs could be corrupted.

Now here's the weirdest thing: I don't use my PC for a lot of stuff that puts a lot of load on the CPU except for gaming. I don't do like video-editing and run apps that use all cores so the heaviest task my CPU does is gaming. And I never had a single crash or BSOD in any game I play and I play a few different ones, most of those are new games with high system requirements. Other people that had their i9s die on them always said it crashed during gaming and heavier tasks which obviously makes sense but mine only crashed under Windows. So what's going on?

The only guess I have is that one (or more) of my E-Cores are faulty which aren't being used under gaming as that prioritizes the P cores so I don't crash during gaming but when I'm in Windows and the faulty E-Core is being used then I get a BSOD. Thoughts?

Hardware: 

Asus ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming Wifi (latest BIOS right now)

RAM: G-Skill Triden 2x16GB DDR5 6400

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF (stock settings)

GPU: Asus TUF OC RTX 4090

PSU: Corsair HX1200

Windows 11 Pro

Edit: Oh and I ran the Intel Diagnostics Thingy since the reinstall a few times (3-4, altough never back to back) and it always passed

0 Kudos
6 Replies
K1llrzzZ
Beginner

For some reason I cannot upload my current dump files but I have some of the old ones saved on a pentdrive, these are from the time when my PC wasn't booting up:

Dump file 

Edit: I was able to access the most recent minidump:

https://easyupload.io/32kyj1 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello K1llrzzZ,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

For us to further check this, please help provide the following details:

1. When did you purchase the unit?
  2. Was it working fine before?
  3. Did you change any settings before the issue started?
  4. What are the troubleshooting steps that you tried so far?

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
K1llrzzZ
Beginner

Hello,

1.) Around the time it came out, october - novemberish 2022

2.) Yes, it was working for a long time, these issues started happening around 6-8 months ago if I remember correctly, I just wasn't sure what's causing them, I was suspecting corrupted Windows since the system was stable while under load (gaming), but since I've read about these browser crashes being caused by a dying CPU

3.) No, when I bought the CPU I left everything on auto except the RAM, I turned XMP on and that was it. System was stable for a  very long time.

4.) Reinstalled Windows, updated BIOS, replaced faulty SSD, ran Windows Memory Diagnostics (passed) and memtest86 from BIOS (passed), reinstalled Chrome and all drivers after Windows reinstall and like I said I ran the Intel Diagnostic Tool before the BIOS update and new Windows/SSD, failed 2 times out of 4, since the new BIOS and Win I ran it like 3-4 times (not back to back), passed every time.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello K1llrzzZ,

Thank you for the quick reply.

For the BSOD and/or stability issue, kindly open the community link where we posted our recommendations and follow the provided settings that you need to set inside the BIOS then tell us if there is an improvement. 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Updated-Guidance-RE-Reports-of-13th-14th-Gen-Unlocked-Desktop/m-p/1594553

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello K1llrzzZ,

We would like to know if you have any questions regarding the recommendation that we have provided.

If so, kindly inform me, as we would be glad to assist you. 

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
K1llrzzZ
Beginner
1 View
Hello,
I was able to find some of the recommended settings but not all. The ones I found I changed to what was recommended. I have an Asus ROG Strix Z-790-F Gaming Wifi mobo with a recent BIOS.
Since I changed it I haven't had a BSOD, but then again even before there were like weeks where I didn't get one its pretty random. The browser crashes however did not go away.
0 Kudos