Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15362 Discussions

Microcode (0x129) Update for Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen Desktop Processors

Thomas_Hannaford
Employee

Intel is currently distributing to its OEM/ODM partners a new microcode patch (0x129) for its Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors which will address incorrect voltage requests to the processor that are causing elevated operating voltage.

For all Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processor users: This patch is being distributed via BIOS update and will not be available through operating system updates. Intel is working with its partners to ensure timely validation and rollout of the BIOS update for systems currently in service.

Instability Analysis Update – Microcode Background and Performance Implications

In addition to extended warranty coverage, Intel has released three mitigations related to the instability issue – commonly experienced as consistent application crashes and repeated hangs – to help stabilize customer systems with Intel Core 13th and 14th gen desktop processors:
1. Intel default settings to avoid elevated power delivery impact to the processor (May 2024)
2. Microcode 0x125 to fix the eTVB issue in i9 processors (June 2024)
3. Microcode 0x129 to address elevated voltages (August 2024)

Intel’s current analysis finds there is a significant increase to the minimum operating voltage (Vmin) across multiple cores on affected processors due to elevated voltages. Elevated voltage events can accumulate over time and contribute to the increase in Vmin for the processor.

The latest microcode update (0x129) will limit voltage requests above 1.55V as a preventative mitigation for processors not experiencing instability symptoms. This latest microcode update will primarily improve operating conditions for K/KF/KS processors. Intel is also confirming, based on extensive validation, all future products will not be affected by this issue.

Intel is continuing to investigate mitigations for scenarios that can result in Vmin shift on potentially impacted Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen desktop processors. Intel will provide updates by end of August.  

Intel’s internal testing – utilizing Intel Default Settings - indicates performance impact is within run-to-run variation (eg. 3DMark: Timespy, WebXPRT 4, Cinebench R24, Blender 4.2.0) with a few sub-tests showing moderate impacts (WebXPRT Online Homework; PugetBench GPU Effects Score). For gaming workloads tested, performance has also been within run-to-run variation (eg. Cyberpunk 2077, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Total War: Warhammer III – Mirrors of Madness) with one exception showing slightly more impact (Hitman 3: Dartmoor). However, system performance is dependent on configuration and several other factors.

For unlocked Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen desktop processors, this latest microcode update (0x129) will not prevent users from overclocking if they so choose. Users can disable the eTVB setting in their BIOS if they wish to push above the 1.55V threshold. As always, Intel recommends users proceed with caution when overclocking their desktop processors, as overclocking may void their warranty and/or affect system health. As a general best practice, Intel recommends customers with Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen desktop processors utilize the Intel Default Settings.

In light of the recently announced extended warranty program, Intel is reaffirming its confidence in its products and is committed to making sure all customers who have or are currently experiencing instability symptoms on their 13th and/or 14th Gen desktop processors are supported in the exchange process. Users experiencing consistent instability symptoms should reach out to their system manufacturer (OEM/System Integrator purchase), Intel Customer Support (boxed processor), or place of purchase (tray processor) further assistance.

FURTHER READING:

Labels (1)
89 Replies
Lorvader
Novice

Hello Thomas_Hannaford,

First of all thanks for you post.

I interpret from your post that the i9 14900KS processor will lose performance with the patches that you are applying. If this is the case, the processor does not meet the advertised specifications.

Being a lower-performance processor, will you return the difference in cost compared to other processors with equal performance?

I am very concerned that I have paid more money to obtain a processor with the same features than another at a lower cost and whose specifications are met.

Waiting for your response.

Best Regards,

Lorvader

0 Kudos
pprivately
Beginner

Hi @Thomas_Hannaford,

WHY microcode was not published to github repo and WHY are not you going to ship it to everyone via OS updates? Is not that possible to distribute via OS vendors like you did in the past?

As an old Intel customer in both consumer and proffesional (server) market and small shareholder I would like to understand WHY.

My last concern is about 13gen and 14gen mobile CPUs. 14900HX may consume 3x more power in Turbo Boost 3.0 (r) than base power. Is microcode good/without bug there? Or same elevated VID problems are happening?

0 Kudos
vonwallace
Beginner

PC Troubleshooting Experience:

1. Initial Issue:
- Encountered problems with PC stability, particularly with Chrome and Edge browsers.
- These browsers would trigger a "status break point error" during light usage.

2. Attempted Solutions:
- Tried various fixes without success.
- Downloaded microcode update 129, which didn't resolve the issue.
- Cinebench and Intel processor tests showed no problems.

3. Underlying Cause:
- Issues seemed to occur when the CPU attempted to reach 6GHz.
- Using Process Lasso to avoid using the fastest cores prevented the error.

4. Working Solution:
- Setting the P-core ratio to 57 (5.7GHz) on all cores resolved the issue.
- This fix remains effective even after applying microcode update 129.

5. Concerns:
- Unsure if the CPU is defective or if reaching 6GHz is unrealistic.
- AI suggests it's not a defect but rather a result of the "silicon lottery" (variability in chip performance).

Question: Is my CPU defective, or is achieving 6GHz simply unrealistic for my particular chip?

SmartOne_2000
New Contributor II

You realize this BETA bios update is for non-k based processors ONLY? I seems you have a k-based processor based on your speeds. Do not use this code on k-based processors.

0 Kudos
SmartOne_2000
New Contributor II

This is a mistake on my part. Microcode is for ALL 13th/14th gen processors of all variants. So sorry for the mislead!

0 Kudos
Mvornzie
Beginner

I'd say your CPU has degraded and is now defective.

The very first symptom I noticed was Chrome and Edge crashing when I was barely using them, chrome would show "OH SNAP!" crash and I'd need to reload the page, this would happen at random and random intervals, sometimes twice an hour, sometimes five times an hour.

The second symptom that I noticed was installing GPU drivers, regardless of whether I removed drivers with DDU first or tried to overwrite, they installation of the drivers would fail. At first I would just go into safe mode to install the drivers and it was 50/50 whether or not they would install.

The next thing I noticed was ICUE crashing around once per hour, sometimes more.

during all of these I would get page_fault_in_nonpaged_area BSOD.

I was getting black screens for half a second and DWM.exe crashing would be in the event history as the culprit. 

It took me hours to reinstall windows 11 because the frequency of errors and BSOD, sometimes if I was lucky enough for windows to finish installing or boot without bluescreening, windows would act strange - no updates would install correctly even after restarting the windows updates and clearing any errors, using the windows troubleshooting would just bluescreen or never complete.

All of this was happening more frequently as time went by until I decided to underclock to 5.2.

As soon as I did this, I reinstalled windows first time without any issues.

Installed GPU drivers first time for over 2 months without any issues and I didn't need to go into safe mode to do so.

Windows updates installed first time with no errors. I've been using chrome browser for the last 2 days and haven't seen it crash once. 

No DWM.exe crashes or ICUE crashes in 2-3 days.

All this being said my computer was working fine and I was seeing non of this until around 2 months ago and it's getting worse until  underclocking the chip seems to have sorted things out.

RMA your chip.

0 Kudos
Calichou
Beginner

Same story, same problem, same fix, exept mine has to be set at 5.6Ghz on all performance cores. 

Also, I would like to point out that the crashes and BSODs happen during normal use so running synthetic full load test actually stabilizes the PC and is irrelevant. 

Asus PRIME Z790-P WIFI Motherboard

Intel i9-14900KF CPU

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Cooler

Nvidia RTX4060 Graphics card

0 Kudos
Collins2199
Beginner

My MB is under warranty but manufacturer hasn't released ANY new BIOS with updated microcodes in over a year.  How can I get these updates to protect my 13900K from self-destruction?

0 Kudos
SmartOne_2000
New Contributor II

That's messed up ... call them!

Collins2199
Beginner

Finally heard back from MB manufacturer (EVGA)... They say the 0X112 "microcode IS the latest supplied by Intel upon release of the CPU. We currently do not have any updates to report on any new Microcode, as we are waiting to hear from Intel."

So each side finger pointing here, blaming the other side from not providing necessary information.  I'm surprised they sent that considering Intel released their recommended updates to Intel default settings in May 2024.  I do believe EVGA is trying to avoid any responsibility AND reduce their expenses by not providing an updated BIOS/product support.  I would consider a new MB but so much sunk into this build to only have a realistic 2-3 years left of life in the chipset/processor (assuming it doesn't die before then).

How does a consumer know the necessary microcode has been sent to the manufacturers to update the BIOS?

0 Kudos
Bughunter47
Novice

We need a place to log benchmarks, better yet against a baseline to see if the units running in a acceptable performance range

ie)

Dell Optiplex Tower Plus 7010, i7-13700

Cinebench R23

Pre-patch test scores

Single Core: 1974 pts

Multi Core: 17757 pts

Post-patch scores*

Singe Core: 1694 pts

Multi Core: 17747 pts

*Dell microcode BIOS update Version 1.17.0

Base core clock speed reduced from 2.12 GHz to 2.10 GHz by patch

Cinebench R23

Dell Optiplex Micro Plus 7010, i5-13500

Pre-patch test scores

Single Core: 1857 pts

Multi Core: 13163 pts

Post-patch test scores

Single Core: 1788 pts

Multi Core: 13203 pts

0 Kudos
SmartOne_2000
New Contributor II

Ok, from your data, it seems the microcode capped your turbo mode speeds by capping the voltage to 1.55v, as seen in your Single Core scores. Multicore runs all processors at lower speeds anyways, so probably the required SVID before and after was the same, under 1.55 volts.

Windows rarely runs a single core, if you look at task manager, so the single performance hit may be seen in synthetic benchmarks only but not in real applications. My 2 cents!

Bughunter47
Novice

Your not wrong, I am just trying to find a repeatable standardized baseline for testing CPU's prior to requesting RMA's with OEM's post microcode patch. 

I have a whole warehouse of these to deal with

0 Kudos
SmartOne_2000
New Contributor II

Maybe better to setup a google doc, link it here and have folks post their before and after bios scores?

BrianMH
Beginner

Asus 2504 BIOS with 0x129 Microcode working just fine, no issues at all with 14700K, Asus Z790 ProArt Creator.  Though I did set AC LoadLine to 0.1 as opposed to 1.1 default, disabled IA CEP and ATB.  This got me an undervolt (the AC loadline lowering) that results in much lower temps and power compared to Intel Baseline and also gets me performance similar to Asus Enhanced OC profile.  Without these changes the Intel Baseline Profile still has thermal throttling. So all in all situation is totally under control. 

I tested in Windows 11 and Mac Sonoma.  Yes - I have Sonoma running with this CPU/motherboard.

I even made a video about the fix and my test results:

https://youtu.be/J2k9_dqKlnw

Here are some of my results:

GeekBenchSingle.jpgGeekBenchMulti.jpgCine23Single.pngCine23Multi.pngCine24Single.pngCine24Multi.pngPackageTemp.pngPackagePower.pngVCore.pngfinal stats cropped.png

Gessler
New Contributor I
I have a i7-14700K and just updated my Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WiFi II board to BIOS 1503 which contains the 0x129 microcode update.

When doing a 30-min Cinebench R23 test, I've noticed in HWiNFO that I had a peak VID of 1.565V! Isn't the new update supposed to prevent this? HWiNFO confirms that I'm on microcode version 129.

My BIOS is set to Intel Default Settings (hitting F5 sets to defaults). PL1 & PL2 are at 253W, ICCMax at 307A, MCE is disabled & SVID is set to Auto. My Loadline Calibration was set to Level 4 by default. XMP is disabled.

I've noticed that peak VID stays at or under 1.500V for the first 20 or so minutes of the test, it's only in the last ~10 minutes that the peak VID value seems to climb. Is this a result of the voltage accumulation bug that you're talking about above?

But it doesn't take very long to cross 1.55V peaks in gaming loads however. All in all, it seems the microcode is simply not working for me.

Requesting some guidance here as to what I should do. Currently I'm just limiting my usage of this system and looking forward to further updates by August-end as promised.
0 Kudos
Palmierini
Beginner

Has intel told us when was the contamination issue solved at the fab level ? which month/year or batch number or something that we can identify, if they did in fact resolved the contamination issue at all

0 Kudos
ToUsMiC
Beginner

Je vous conseille vivement après avoir installé 0x-129 de sous-volter votre processeur. Le bios bêta augmente pour une raison quelconque le vcore à 1,55 pour le 13900k... au final j'avais un vcore maximum de 1,47 avant la mise à jour. Maintenant prenez en considération qu'il s'agit d'un bios bêta. J'ai dû faire un RMA pour mon 13900k car il est passé à 1,75 !

0 Kudos
Nassbirne
Novice

@Palmierini 

So far, they only mentioned that the issue was "solved in 2023".
To my knowledge they never got any more specific than this; no mention of a specific date or affected production batches, or even a way to find out if your CPU is affected.

0 Kudos
Palmierini
Beginner

yeah, that much i know and imo it's BS from intel

14th gen CPU's were launched Q4'23. If they had indeed solved it in '23 than 14th gen wouldn't be affected unless they solved it in the last 2 or 3 months of the year

0 Kudos
TENPATROL
Beginner
The 14th generation CPUs are also affected due to issues with high voltage.
0 Kudos