Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15632 Discussions

Reboot after shutdown

Shinobi
Beginner
Hi all, noob here so be gentle and patient with me.
How do I update my firmware? I'm running Linux Pop Os. Firmware in linux don't show anything. Previous OS was win 10 pro. It's a DB85FL board. The only problem I have is that my pc reboot 5sec after a shutdown.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Omëron
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Shinobi
Beginner
Thank you for the reply. The Wan Lan was off so it must be something else.
0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Shinobi  

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Please be aware that this forum is for Intel️® NUC products and not for Desktop boards, I am moving this thread to the correct forum. 

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and helped. You may also find the Discontinued Products website, helping to address your request.    

You can get the specifications and verify this product's discontinuance status at the Intel® Product Specifications website > Marketing Status > "Discontinued":  Intel® Desktop Board DB85FL  

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards, 

Jocelyn M.  

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What version of the BIOS do you currently have installed? (You can get this information by using the F2 key at power on (or reboot) to enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS))

...S

0 Kudos
Shinobi
Beginner

Hi Scott

Thank you for showing interest in my problem. I'm currently on version FLB8510H.86A.0126.2014.0526.1545

I have no knowledge in how to update it.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, you have BIOS 126 and latest (last) is BIOS 131. I have attached FL0131.BIO, FL0131.PDT (Release Notes) and a copy of IFLASH2.EXE file. Since you are only upgrading a few BIOS versions, the simplest way to do the upgrade is the F7 method. Here's the instructions:

1. Insert a 32GB or smaller (the smaller the better) USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives (most are not compatible). It is also better (though not required) to use a flash drive that has an access LED that you can watch.
  2. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Specify to install the FAT32 file system (Important: NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  3. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your flash drive is too big; use another.
  4. Copy the FL0131.BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive.
  5. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the Board's black USB 2.0 ports
  6. Power on the system.
  7. Immediately begin pressing the F7 key, over and over (about once a second), until the BIOS update menu appears on the screen.
  8. Use the BIOS Update menu to select the flash drive (it's usually at the top of the list) and then to select the FL0131.BIO file.
  9. The system should reset and automatically start the BIOS installation process. Wait for it to complete.
  10. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Shinobi
Beginner

Hi Scott

Trust you are doing well. 

I formated the 4gb usb to FAT32. 

I extracted the zip file and copied the IFLASH2.exe file to the usb. Everything done in Win7. 

I booted my linux pc. Pressed F7. 

It is picking up the usb and I pressed enter on it but no luck with the update. 

Attached is what I see on my side. 

0 Kudos
Shinobi
Beginner

My apologies. 

I copied the bios file and everything went smooth. 

Tested it and it show version 131.

Problem still there. PC restart after shutdown

My OS is on the Kingston ssd. Both hd show boot drive. 

Can this be the problem and if so, how do I fix it. 

Thank you for your help.

Regards 

Kobus. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I don't think having multiple bootable drives is going to make any difference. People do multibooting all the time, so having multiple bootable drives is common.

Did you reset the BIOS configuration after the BIOS upgrade? It's something to try (yes, I am grasping at straws here). At POST, use the F2 key to get into BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS, VB), the F9 key to initiate the reset of the BIOS configuration and then the F10 key to save this updated configuration and exit from VB.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. This was a very common bug in the 8 Series Desktop Board BIOSs. I thought it was fixed in all of these BIOSs, but maybe this board slipped through the cracks. The shuttering of the Intel Desktop Boards business was not that long after the release of these boards and it's possible that this bug was simply never reported against this particular Board/BIOS in time for it to be fixed.

0 Kudos
Shinobi
Beginner

Did the reset and still not shutting down. 

It's weird because there wasn't any issue when win10 pro was on this pc. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, it's not weird. If I remember correctly (it has been 9 years), it was a difference in the way that the BIOS' ACPI code is interpreted in the two environments. In Linux, it doesn't arrive down into the right (shutdown) state.

I forgot to mention that, after resetting the BIOS configuration, you have to make the BIOS configuration changes indicated in the article referenced by @Omëron above.

If that doesn't work,  one other thing you could try is installing Linux but this time set up for UEFI boot. That is, installing with GPT partitioning and having UEFI boot files (also) installed.

Hope this helps (I am running out of ideas),

...S

0 Kudos
Shinobi
Beginner
Wake on LAN from S4/S5 is set as Stay Off. Still not shutting down.
I'll do a fresh linux install one day when I'm in the mood again and try to remember to set it up on UEFI.
Thank you for all the help.
Regards
Kobus
0 Kudos