Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14505 Discussions

SM bus controller driver does not get installed...

Modular
Beginner

My specs:

Laptop: E6440

Chipset: Mobile Intel QM87 Express chipset

CPU: Stock CPU was swapped with an i7-4800MQ

Error:

Device manager reports that: The drivers for this device(SM Bus controller) are not installed.(code 28)

What I tried: 

I installed the most recent(there are two) chipset driver from here (E6440's product page)...but the error remains..

I downloaded and tried to install this driver directly from intel, but I get the following error:

0x00004e24 this platform is not supported.

I checked all of the ones listed at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/1145 ... but none of them list QM87 as being supported...

What shall I do ? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Modular
Beginner

ok, I figured it out....i had to install the older chipset driver...

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

First, did you check with dell to see if the i7-4800MQ was supported by your laptop bios?   I doubt that it is.  Verify with dell first that your processor is supported.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Modular

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to step in and try to help, we would recommend trying the following steps in regards to this issue:

Please feel free to report back the outcome of the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Modular
Beginner

Hello Andrew,

I tried to install the chipset driver in the link you provided but I couldn't succeed, My chipset is QM87 which isn't even listed in "This download is valid for the product(s) listed below." in your link. I did not do it your way(setupchipset.exe -overall) though...

On Dell's support website, there is a 2016 and a 2020 Intel Chipset Device Software, the 2020 one didn't work....but the 2016 one worked and got rid of the problem....

Should I still be worried about it ? should I try to install the latest chipset driver from your link or the 2020 driver on Dell's support page using the command: setupchipset.exe -overall   ???

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Modular

Thank you for your response.

In regards to your questions, yes, you can still use the previous steps to try to force the installation of the Chipset INF Utility Version: 10.1.18793.8276

However, if you want to try the customized driver provided by DELL* using the cmd command "setupchipset.exe -overall", it will be better for you to confirm with DELL* since our recommendation is for our generic driver. For your convenience, here is the link to DELL* Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Modular

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Modular

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos