First, here are the specifications:
Intel i9-14900k
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX
64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5
RTX 4070 Ti (current drivers)
beQuiet AIO Silent Loop 2 (360)
beQuiet Straight Power 11 (850w)
Windows 11 (always up to date)

I keep experiencing issues with some games crashing. Recently, I installed the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility because I read that it can perform a stress test to check if the system is running stably.

When I initiate a stress test, it runs for about 1-2 minutes and then the system crashes with a bluescreen. Prior to this, I tried using Cinebench, but it also crashes or freezes the system.

I'm at a loss for what to do and hope to find help with my problem here.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello PandaPanda33, 

Just want to confirm, were you able to capture the error message on the crashes? This way, we can easily identify where it relates to. Could you list out the games as we can check for its requirements. You may also post here the logs so we can be more familiar with the configurations in your system. You may download it at this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Panda33
Beginner

Thank you for your feedback.
The crashes currently mostly occur with Diablo 4 and Helldrivers 2. The PC meets the specifications for these games. When I try to run Cinebench 2024, the PC freezes or the program crashes. I have tested the memory twice, internally with the Windows tool and with Memtest86. Both times, no errors were found. The CPU is properly recognized in the BIOS. Perhaps I have something misconfigured. I hope you can assist me further.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Panda33 , 

Thank you for sending the SSU, I am still unable to check the graphics driver version as it is not showing in the logs. To set your expectation, we recommend using the latest one by downloading it here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html

If you are already using it, there is no need to download and install the graphics driver. You may check it by going to Device Manager> Display Adapter > Intel® UHD Graphics 770. If this is the case, you may try both of these steps: 

1. In BIOS, select "ADVANCED MODE", in the Tweaker tab, locate the CPU Vcore and select "Normal" option, select "Dynamic Vcore(DVID)" option, change it from "Auto" to "+0.005V". Increase the DVID by +0.005 and reboot OS, until the game crash disappears and the system is running stable.     
  2. In BIOS, select "Tweaker", select "Advanced Voltage Settings", select "CPU/VRAM Settings", adjust "CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration", recommend starting from "Low" to "Medium" until system is stable. 

After trying 1 or 2, run XTU test again to see if the AVX2 test can pass, 

Run the games again and see if the issue happens. You may download XTU at this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

Let us know if the issue persists.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Panda33
Beginner

First of all, thank you very much for your help!

I've now set the DVID to +0.015V and CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration to "Medium."

With these settings, I was able to complete all three stress tests in XTU without errors,
and Cinebench 2024 also ran through without any issues. That's already very good.

I've only been able to briefly test the two games, Diablo 4 and Helldivers 2,
as I've been short on time so far. Helldivers 2 used to crash after a few minutes,
but now I've been able to complete a mission without it crashing.
Of course, I'll conduct a longer test.

However, I've noticed that the fans of the liquid cooling system are now louder.
The temperatures are higher. I've attached a screenshot. The CPU keeps
going into "Thermal Throttling." What can I do to get this under control?

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Panda33

I am happy to hear that the crashes are no longer happening. As for the thermal throttling, I noticed in the screenshot that you were conducting a stress test when it occurred. It is normal that it throttles when doing a stress test. Throttling is a mechanism in Intel® processors to reduce the clock speed when the temperature in the system reaches above TJ Max (or Tcase). 

What's not normal is experiencing throttling under normal load. Based on your screenshot as well, in the lower right, the thermal throttling indicator is saying no, so there should be no issues with your CPU. Just to confirm, did the liquid cooling system become loud when you were doing a stress test or heavy load? If that is the case, I am not seeing any overheating issues with your CPU. You may also run our Intel Processor diagnostic tools to diagnose your CPU and post a screenshot here of the results: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html

You may also visit this link for more information about thermal throttling: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000088048/processors.html#:~:text=Throttling%20is%20a%20mechanism%20in,that%20they%20need%20to%20monitor.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Panda33
Beginner

It seems like everything is running smoothly now. The Processor Diagnostic Tool also passed all tests without any errors. I really want to express my sincere gratitude for the excellent support and assistance. It's not something you encounter every day. I have one last question though. As mentioned before, my system is equipped with the beQuiet AIO Silent Loop 2 360 AIO. What cooling system would you recommend to further reduce temperatures? Would a "regular" cooler be advisable? Which product would you recommend for cooling? Additionally, are there any BIOS settings I could adjust to further decrease CPU temperatures? My system is quite loud.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Panda33, 

I am happy to hear that everything is running smoothly now and thank you for the kind words. Although we do not have a specific model that we can recommend, I can tell you that as long as the cooling solution value wattage that you choose has equal to or higher than the Processor Base Power (previously known as TDP), it would be able to support your CPU. You may visit this link as well as guide in choosing the thermal solution: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000038285/processors/intel-core-processors.html. As for the temperature, as long as you have a good cooling solution, you do not have to worry about the CPU having high temperatures. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Panda33
Beginner

Thank you again for your support.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Panda33, 

We are thrilled to hear that your issue has been resolved. Supporting you is our joy and passion. We will close this thread for now, but please don't hesitate to post a new thread if you need any help in the future. We are always here for you.

We wish you the best in your future endeavors!

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos