Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

Under the terrible dream of billions of PCs. New development found in AMD and Intel processors

Vortex64
Novice

Hello community,

I found that article today: https://www.ixbt.com/news/2021/05/02/pod-ugrozoj-snova-milliardy-pk-v-processorah-amd-i-intel-najdena-novaja-ujazvimost.html 

What does that mean? are we in danger or what? or is that fixed?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As the articles indicate, there are new - but (still) hypothetical - variants of the Spectre exploits and all processors with Micro-Op caches could be affected. This includes all of Intel's and AMD's processors. What can you do about it ? Nothing. Just wait. Neither Intel nor AMD have as yet announced any microcode updates or O/S-level workarounds that are necessary. As the articles also indicate, the performance hit for mitigation could be significant.

In my mind, there is nothing earthshattering here. There are a number of these theoretical exploits that leak data. Whether anyone can consistently use any of these exploits to get specifically actionable data is the big question. In most cases, the data leaked is so random that it is unusable. Still,...

...S