Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15312 Discussions

Windows 11 driver problem

DonS
Novice

Hello,

I recently upgraded my HP laptop to Windows 11 and I get problem installing one driver, or more like, it's installed already but Windows Event Viewer displays a warning like this:

Level; Source; Event ID; Task Category;
Warning; Kernel-PnP; 219; (212);

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1903&SUBSYS_85FC103C&REV_07\3&11583659&0&20.

I installed this driver from HP website, then updated through device manager. It's very old, the HP version is from 2018 and updated is from 2019. I tried looking for it on Intel website but it only displays drivers for NUC. Where can I get update of this driver for Windows 11 so Event Viewer doesn't display any warnings?

Laptop: HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-dk0001ne
CPU: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H  ; Coffee Lake

Cheers

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
KrissyG
New Contributor II

KrissyG_0-1676487541721.png

just FYI, the screen is from Microsoft Windows Settings.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @DonS

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to hear about what is happening to your laptop. 

Since this driver is not related to Intel, you need to contact your System Manufacturer for assistance, we only provide drivers for Intel NUCs.

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
DonS
Novice

Hi Jocelyn,

Thank you for your reply. Well guess what, HP said it's Intel's driver and to look for it on Intel's website. Ehh, typical passing the buck.. Anyway, I was told "If there are no devices with ! marks showing up in the device manager, I wouldn't be concerned."

Cheers.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The OEM is responsible for the provision of drivers for their products, even for the components from Intel. That they drop you like a hot potato when your warranty expires has become the norm - and 'hey, let's punt them to Intel' has become their standard deflection. This is why HP and Dell are both off my consideration list for future purchases. Sadly, the major alternatives (ASUS, Acer and Lenovo) are really not much better. It's the industry.

...S

DonS
Novice

Yeah this is very true, in every aspect of life to be honest... MSI seems decent, for how long? We shall see... Cheers.

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

@n_scott_pearson wrote:

The OEM is responsible for the provision of drivers for their products, even for the components from Intel.

...yes and no. For Intel CPUs - intel provides the drivers, but for the chipset it does not.
For the chipset, which is just a controller, Intel sends the specifications to the motherboard manufacturers, and based on that, they make the drivers.

In this case, that  HP has the Intel® HM370 chipset. The specs and compatibility list says windows 10, there apparently are no drivers for win11.

For example, it clearly states on Creative webpage, that my sound card is not compatible with Windows 11.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, you can't say it this way. Intel does not validate the OEM's products, the OEM is responsible for this. The OEM must thus also be responsible for providing validated (and, in some case, modified) drivers to their customers. Customers can only be sure of a driver's compatibility with their product if it comes from the product's OEM. There is no guarantee that any subsequent drivers obtained from Intel (or any other component manufacturer) are going to be compatible with an OEM's products (and the BIOS (etc.) updates that the OEM will need to make over time). If a customer needs features or bug fixes that are in the emerging drivers from Intel, they should be going to their OEM and demanding that they validate these drivers on these platforms and release them, with appropriate assurances, to their customers.

I am not sure where you are trying to go with your examples. They have nothing to do with reality. The reality in these cases are that they shouldn't be using Windows 11 if their OEM is not going to provide them with validated drivers. Now, I am talking about the products that are still under warranty - and yes, when a new OS appears, the OEMs should be responsible for supporting it on their actively warranted products. All bets are off when discussing products that are beyond their warranted lifetime (as short as that may be). 

My belief is that no product should be accepted if it doesn't have at least a 3-year hardware warranty and a 6-year software warranty. That is, all products should come with a warranty that states that driver validation and BIOS updates will be provided for at least 6 years. Obviously, no one is offering this level of service - and, if things are left to their own devices, this will never happen. It is going to take action by our lawmakers to force this level of service and integrity upon these OEMs.

...S

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

Original Equipment Manufacturer (short OEM) for Intel CPU is Intel.

it is also the same for the chipset on all intel CPU compatible motherboards, but like o said, they only males drivers for CPU to be compatible with the chipset. Compatibility of the chipset and motherboard os not Intels job.

AMD does same for their CPUs.

So validation of anything is not the correct term, since Intel literally is the OEM of their CPUs, and they have to provide datasheet on the chipset to motherboards OEM....like MSI, Gigabyte or Asus.

Now, you seem to forget, that windows 11 has hardware requirements .

You can't install win11 if motherboard and CPU do not have that integrated chip.....Trusted Platform Module Technology is the name, but all components that you want to run on win 11 need it.

Obviously, for example, my sound card has been manufactured before those requirements were known, it is missing that chip, therefore it can not be used on win 11. This started somewhere within windows 10 updates.Apparently there are few hacks to bypass it and make hardware run anyway, but it will certainly not work with the certificates and software that requires TPMT.

Summary, old hardware is not compatible with win11 and no driver will fix that, bcoz ot is missing a physical chip.

And you are correct with stating that a user should not install win11 on older hardware.

0 Kudos