Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14904 Discussions

XTU CPU stress test avx2 failing i9-13900k

KoolDog
Beginner

Hi,

I am getting alot of errors,  i think the CPU i have is defective.    testing it with  XTU AVX2 - it fails.

Ive run it at 5 minute timer.    some times it fails right away, other times it fails several minutes into the run.

I also have issues with apps / games crashing constantly and or some blue screens.

Even a clean fresh install windows 11,  is extreamly difficult to get it to run all the way without many blue screens during the install process.

all the drivers and bios - i have the latest versions as of 2/2024 this month.   for all hardware parts and software and drivers 100% updated.

apps n games will just crash or critical error.  no other message or warnings just crashes to desktop or the system out right freezes and need to hard reboot.

I dont do any forms of overclocking - the CPU is defualt run - other then the ddr5 = which is running XMP so i guess thats consider over clocking - even turning XMP off running at stock levels,   the crashes and freezes still occur. no effective difference with XMP on or off, same unstablity. at default ram settings no OC.

Asus rog Z790-H wifi

gskill trident z5 ddr5 6400  x2 16gb

i9-13900k

samsung 980pro nvme 2tb x2

Gamer 1050w PSU

Zotac rtx 4090 trinity GPU

NOTE - the CPU during stress testing is listing package temps between 65c to 80c.  so its not over heating at all, as i have a arctic freezer2 360 AIO.  so it doesnt run hot ever that ive seen.  its not a throttling issue.

im guessing the CPU has some hardware issue, since 2 different brands of ddr5 and 2 different mother boards tested and i get exaxt same unstablity problems random blue screens or crashes in apps and games.   even fresh windows 11 install is a chore to do, very unstable and blue screens alot in that part.   after 5-10 tries usually i can get 1 to stay stable long enough for it to install all the way.

A setting or something beyond default to fix this or is the CPU just got some bad area in it.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello KoolDog, 

We did receive reports of this issue before and I have here some settings that you can try to fix the issue. Please change the BIOS settings in to the following: 

1. Advanced (F7)
  2. AI Tweaker
    1. SVID Behavior: Change to “Intel’s Fail Safe”
    2. Reboot the OS and run XTU test again to check if AVX2 test can pass.
    3. Run the apps/games and check if the crashing will still occur. 

Let us know if this helps. 

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Hagen
Novice

Hello Ramyer,

I have a very similar issue. 

I have had my worstation for 13 months and have never had any problems.
Four weeks ago I updated all recommended software, drivers and bios via the GIGABYTE Control Center. Since then I get constant system crashes and BlueScreens with the following error messages:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I have NOT made any changes to the hardware configuration or installed any new software. I use the computer mainly for video and photo editing with Adobe products. The computer has NOT been tuned orr overclocked. I have done a fresh windows 11 installation on a external SSD connect via USB-C an the problem still exist.

There I believe, the Bios update has change some Bios Settings. 

I have read your recommendes Station, but can't find the exact seeting in the Gigabyte BIOS

Please try the following steps:

-Install XTU, run AVX2 test, and check if the processor passed that test, if it fails, please change the next BIOS settings:

Advanced (F7)

AI Tweaker

SVID Behavior: Change to “Intel’s Fail Safe”

-Reboot the OS and run XTU test again in order to confirm if the unit passed the AVX2 test 

-Run the games as well and see if the issue happens again 

Can you please guide me, where in the Gigabyte Bios I have make the adoptions?

My settings:

Product Name: Z790 AORUS ELITE AX (1.0)

BIOS Ver: F10

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K

GPU:  Nvidia Model: GeFORCE rtx 3080

Operating System:  Windows 11  / SP:   23H2

RAM:  Corsair  / Size:      64GB

0 Kudos
SHAB
Beginner

Try this solution:

I'm new to this forum but i been having the same problems with my 13900KS my only solution to get system stability is to bring down the P cores ratio down a notch. Going from 56x-60x factory setting bring it down to 55 or 54x. I'm going to eventually RMA this chip.  You can do this via the BIOS setting depending on your motherboard. Read this post as this was relevant to my issue. Try disabling turbo boost in bios setting and see if you have system stability at 3GHZ not ideal and loss of alot fps, but it can rule out that the cpu could be the problem. The solution above is keeping everything enabled at bios default except changing the P-core ratio value.

Is there a fix for the 13900K crashing with Intel Turbo Boost on the Windows 22H2 Update? : intel (reddit.com)

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello KoolDog, 

I am just checking in if the troubleshooting we recommended have worked for you. 

If you still encounter crashing issues, kindly please let us know so can further help you.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello KoolDog, 

I hope you are doing well. As we have not heard a response from you. We will proceed in closing this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos