Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15286 Discussions

XTU CPU stress test crash i9-13900k and Z790

Hagen
Novice

Hello,

I have my workstation for 13 months and have never had any problems.
Four weeks ago I updated all recommended software, drivers and bios via the GIGABYTE Control Center. Since then I get constant system crashes and BlueScreens with the following error messages:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I have NOT made any changes to the hardware configuration or installed any new software. I use the computer mainly for video and photo editing with Adobe products.

The computer has NOT been tuned orr overclocked. I have done a fresh windows 11 installation on a external SSD connect via USB-C an the problem still exist.

I can replicate the crash szenario, if I run the following Intel XTU tests:

• CPU Stress Test
  • CPU Stress Test with AVX
  • CPU Stress Test with AVX2

My settings:

Product Name: Z790 AORUS ELITE AX (1.0)

BIOS Ver: F10

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K

GPU:  Nvidia Model: GeFORCE rtx 3080

Operating System:  Windows 11  / SP:   23H2

RAM:  Corsair  / Size:      64GB

Investigations here in the forum has shown similar problems: 
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/XTU-CPU-stress-test-avx2-failing-i9-13900k/m-p/1573747/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufExTVTBBUE8wNkdFT05FfDE1NzM3NDd8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M69678

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/i9-13900K-very-frequent-crashes-Windows-11-with-apps-games-and/m-p/1573117/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufExTUThTSjRTMlhNODBafDE1NzMxMTd8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M69606

Any support ideas? How to solve this problem? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
그래요ITech
New Contributor I
Well, actually I have the same issue with the i9-13900k using Z790. My system crashes and I encounter this error messages saying, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I searched all over the web and I found the solutions here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kmodeexceptionnothandled-intelppmsys/44df5a48-d952-4a17-b735-cea869d22d09 It's a Microsoft community website. I think this error indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
I found that found that PC becomes stable only after I switch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/Current Control Set/Services/intelppm/Start=4, i.e. switching OFF intelppm. But as a result CPU clock becomes always locked at base speed of 2.3 GHz and no turbo boost is available, so I get only half of CPU performance.
0 Kudos
Hagen
Novice

Thanks for your investigation and the suggested solution. This may can be a short term solution.

But it will decrease significant the CPU performance. 

0 Kudos
그래요ITech
New Contributor I
Well, you can use this Solutions as workaround

1. Go to BIOS, select "ADVANCED MODE", in the
Tweaker tab, locate the CPU Vcore and select the "Normal" option. After choosing, select "Dynamic VcoreDVID option,
change it from "Auto" to
"+0.005V"
Increase the DVID by
+0.005 and reboot, until the
game crash gone and the system is stable.

Cheers,
0 Kudos