Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15610 Discussions

are i9-14900HX laptops worth it? Concerns about stability and voltage issues

gloom
Beginner
hey everyone

i'm considering buying the Acer Predator Helios Neo 16, specifically the model with the i9-14900HX processor, but i've come across some concerns that are making me hesitate. i've heard that the i9-14900HX can be unstable, leading to crashes in apps and games. some people are also saying that this processor will degrade fairly quickly when it runs at or above 1.4V. this sounds pretty alarming, especially for a laptop that i want to rely on for both gaming and work. so, i'm hoping to get some advice from those of you who might have experience with this laptop or processor:

is there any truth to these concerns? have you experienced any instability or crashes with this setup?

does the voltage issue actually cause long-term problems? if so, are there any steps that can be taken mitigate this, like undervolting or tweaking some settings?

overall, is the Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 worth it, given these potential issues? Or should i be looking at other options?

thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Cyr
Beginner
I got the 99K9. So far the only red flags that i could experience is the CPU temps. On idle temps can go 70-80. When playing games like Dota2 it can go 90-100. Im pretty sure its not normal for cpu temps to be on 100 constant.
0 Kudos
VARADHARAJAN
Valued Contributor I

@gloom 

Intel confirms these currently available processors are not affected by the Vmin Shift Instability issue:

• 12th Gen Intel Core desktop and mobile processors
  • Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen i5 (non-K) & i3 desktop processors
  • Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen mobile processors – including HX-series processors.
  • Intel Xeon processors – including server and workstation processors.
  • Intel Core Ultra (Series 1) processors

source

Intel Core 13/14th Gen Instability Update - Future Products Unaffected + Current Gen Product Updates - Intel Community

Varadharajan K M.Sc B.Ed 

0 Kudos
DeeX
Beginner

This is not true. I have an Alienware with a 14900HX. I am on my 2nd exchange for instability issues. 

They also released a BIOS update with the following notes "Maintains stability of 13th and 14th generation Intel processors"".

Also there are 2 people on the Dell community forums complaining about the same thing.

One guy on there also has had multiple exchanges with the same results. 

0 Kudos
HamburgerTime
Beginner
What kind of stability issues are you having? I just got an m18 w the i9 14900hx and I'd like to know whay to look out for. Thanks
0 Kudos
BighGreenHall
Beginner
0 Kudos
BighGreenHall
Beginner

I have a laptop intel i9 14900HX CPU aswell. I am getting all these errors, blue screens and computer freezes:

• Game crash shutdowns
  • Fatal Condition
  • Failed to read FileData
  • Unknown Failure
  • unexpected errors
  • ACCESS_VIOLATION
  • Memory could not be read
  • Memory could not be executed
  • Blue screen auto reboots
  • Unresponsive computer freezes.

I read someone who had the exact same issue as I do, with his 14900KF desktop cpu, so I thought perhaps my issue is related to this laptop cpu of mine? Even tho the list says HX is not included in the list of cpus with issues...

I have been been trying possible fixes or searching for possible causes, for over a month. I found no possible fix or cause.

1 Game company support team shared that the game is not the issue, but they didn't tell me why or what else might be the cause.

Tried scanning&repairing games, reinstalling. Checking all drivers for intel nvidia. OS windows up to date, no preview updates. Memory Diagnostics run for RAM, perfect no issues. Optimizing and checking ssd for errors. enabling write caching for external ssd ntfs. Many in game graphical options, disabling optional graphics.

Checking Hardware Monitor, HWMonitor app, while running a game (with efficient graphics and limitted fps to 50).

CPU is 70-77 degrees Celsius average.
GPU is ~54 degrees Celsius average.
GPU memory is about ~62 degrees Celsius average.
Corsair something is 62 degrees Celsius average.
SSD is 34 degrees Celsius average.

• laptop
  • rtx 4080
  • i9 14900HX
  • 64gb ram
  • windows 11 64-bit
  • Internal SSD, and External SSD (NTFS) 3.2 usb-c to 4.0 port.
0 Kudos