Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

core i7 4790k CPU fan strange behavior

CWill13
Beginner

Hello, I just assembled a computer with MSI z97 gaming 5 and 4790K. Upon powering it on, I noticed that the CPU fan doesn't start spinning properly, instead it has this pattern:

Tries to start spinning (doesn't actually spin, just attempts to) > Stops completely > Tries spinning again > Stops completely > Start spinning

I never witnessed such behavior from any computer I built in the past for my self. Is this normal with this board?

I also would like to mention that 2 of the CPU socket pins are slightly bent but everything works normally.

Things I have tried so far:

Down-dated/Updated BIOS

Changed CPU Fan Header Connector

EDIT: I found a video on youtube that showcases what I am experiencing

https://youtu.be/og6al3z7vxg Intel Haswell LGA 1150 (Socket H3) Stock Cooler Noise Test - YouTube

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KL2
Valued Contributor I

Does the sticker say 'Nidec' on the top of the fan?

It seems to be normal behaviour, since I've built numerous PC's, and Nidec fans included with the boxed Intel processors are the only ones that do that. The amperage is different than Foxconn or Delta fans.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KL2
Valued Contributor I

Does the sticker say 'Nidec' on the top of the fan?

It seems to be normal behaviour, since I've built numerous PC's, and Nidec fans included with the boxed Intel processors are the only ones that do that. The amperage is different than Foxconn or Delta fans.

0 Kudos
CWill13
Beginner

Yes you are right, it does say Nidec on the sticker. And Since I posted this I actually tried the fan of my old computer which works fine. If it happens with all the nidec fans as per your experience than i believe it certainly is normal. Thnaks man, you just saved me from shelling cash on a cooler. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Gize2, thank you for your input, this was helpful.

Symbfrk, I am glad to hear that you were able to figure this out, if you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos