Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15198 Discussions

i9-14900k dx12 games crashing

Rambo
Novice

I have a new asus rog z790-e gaming i motherboard, 64gb 7200mhz ram, with i9-14900k processor. Everything runs great except dx12 games. In particular, I am running Fortnite. There are tons of people have this same issue with 13900k processors as well as 14900k processors. Since the 13900k issue started happening, many people have shared on Reddit and a few have found a work around by decreasing the pcore to 52x, which sucks to have to do, but it seems to work for some (not all). Some have RMA'd and think it's resolved, but it still comes back sometimes. How can I get help to solve this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rambo
Novice
I found a solution that has resolved the problem for me!!!!!! I did 2 things and I'm not sure which one resolved it, but I'm pretty sure which one it was. So I had Corsair vengeance RGB 7200 mhz x 4x16 (64GB) ram but it was running at 6000 i believe. So I replaced that ram withCORSAIR - VENGEANCE 32GB (2x16GB) 5600 MHz DDR5 CL40 Intel XMP Desktop Memory - Black from Best buy and do far zero crashes since Dec 17. I did also downgrade by GPU driver to add far back as possible and have not received to the latest. I am pretty confident it is not the gpu driver but I'm scared to change anything lol. I hope this helps someone. Please comment if it does so I know what helped, real or driver. Thank you. Merry Christmas!

View solution in original post

49 Replies
marsianeca
Novice

hey i did what u advised and yes i don't have crashes did couple of stress tests with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool  and AVX2 stress test and even played games which before on start crashed hehe im happy 

temp i see are lower when i did the stress test but also the cores are 5.4/5.5 max when at 100% which is fine i guess

Also noticed i have current/EDP limit throttling all the time can u help me remove  

I have  Asus ROG STRIX Z790-F also default settings in bios only XMP 1 enable do i need to touch something there

This current/EDP limit throttling is only happening when i do Processor Core ICCMax - 307.00A and if i don't do it my games keep crashing amazing job intel i spend so much money on this and even can't play on default  

0 Kudos
brandona
Beginner

HI, happy it worked for you ! 

Try setting Processor core IccMax to unlimited and leave turbo boost short power and power max at 253W, it should remove the throttle and still no crashes :).

XMP 1 from my end as well. 

0 Kudos
marsianeca
Novice

yeah did that games crash bfV crashes after 5 sec  

if i use Processor Core ICCMax - 307.00A i get the current/EDP limit throttling On all the time

0 Kudos
brandona
Beginner

Yeah same here... It's best if we leave it at 307 with throttling and no crashes I guess

0 Kudos
Lorikmahmuti
Beginner

I have exactly the same issue, i9-14900K / MSI VENTUS 4070 Ti Super 16GB, 32GB RAM KINGSTON 5200.

I followed this guy's guide that said to change these settings on Intel Tuning Utility software: 

Processor Core ICCMax - 307.00A

Turbo Boost Short Power Max - 253.000W

Turbo Boost Power Max - 253.000W

And I have no more crashes in the game, but I also have current/EDP limit throttling On all the time.

0 Kudos
Distinct_Reporter_40

Limiting the CPU is not a solution, those chips are dud from the factory and intel are getting away with selling them in this condition! I purchased a CPU and i expect it to run at its max values as intended, but intel dont give a sh!t and thats why they deserve an class-action lawsuit!

0 Kudos
marsianeca
Novice

will stick to the lower p-cores  from 57 to 54 that is the only thing that works for me  

0 Kudos
brandona
Beginner

Did you set enhanced turbo boost to auto in bios ?

I also have CPU Loadline Calibration Control set to Mode 3 in bios. If I switch this to auto crashes occurs again.

It's working for me now, Processor Core IccMax set to unlimited and no throttles.

***Update with regards to CPU Loadline Calibration Control***

I read somewhere to start from Mode 7 and go down if not stable. Mode 7 is stable for me. Start from there and go down if it crashes with Processor Core IccMax set to unlimited

So to let everyone know these are my latest settings

---BIOS---

XMP 1

CPU Cooler Tuning -> Water Cooler

Enhanced Turbo -> Auto

CPU Loadline Calibration Control -> Mode 7

---Intel XTU---

Processor Core IccMax -> Unlimited

Turbo Boost Short Power Max -> 253.000W

Turbo Boost Power Max -> 253.000W

With these settings directx12 games play without having to underclock pcores to 5.5 etc and without having current edp/limit throttling.

Let me know if these settings work for you !

0 Kudos